Wednesday, August 14, 2013

brunnhilde's sewer vent final configuration

Ever since I acquired Brunnhilde the smell of the sewer odor had always been an on-going problem. I have done a lot of investigation and learnt a lot. There is not one single cause for the odor, but rather many potential causes. Of all however there is a glaring problem caused by the poorly chosen location and the design of the vent port. I had written many posts during the investigation. Recently I designed a vent port using a common household plumbing fitting. I have done quite a bit of field testing since and am satisfied with the result. What remain is to add the final touches to make the installation final.

Before I get to the final finish touch of the sewer vent port, I want to use this post to report my recent acquisition of more cooking equipment.

With my recent injury to my foot and knee I was grounded from vigorous sport. One of the past time activity is online shopping. I reviewed my Amazon wish list. Amongst the items on the wish list is a sausage stuffing machine and a pasta press. Both have been in my sight for a long time and the only hold up is my determination if I would make the purchase and ownership worthwhile.

I would be the first to admit that I am cheap (or frugal). I would not pay for Amazon Prime but I want free shipping. Better yet I would prefer to save a few buck off the regular price. One of the best kept secret with Amazon is buying them "used". If you are shrew Amazon customer you would notice a lot of the "used" items sold by Amazon's "Warehouse Deal" is really not "used" in everything sense of the term. Most often they are opened box, or items in which the factory packaging is marred or damaged. I have snapped up items with as low as 40% discount, and yet all were brand new. Over time as more people discover this secret the amount of saving has steadily reduced.

goody at the door left by USPS
it is a sausage stuffing machine - i finally pulled the purchase trigger when i saw the availability of the "used" item with the discount and condition that met my criteria
I have been wanting to try my hands on making sausage. While I don't eat that much sausage what drive my desire to make my own is the difficult of getting quality sausages. I have been wanting to get some good Chorizo, Cajun and Creole sausage but all you can get here in Oregon are from supermarket, which are nothing like the real thing. Short of ordering from Spain or Louisiana, I want to make my own. I have been shopping around for a sausage stuffing machine at a reasonable price point. Pretty soon I realized like many specialty equipment, you just cannot settle for too little unless you plan to send it to the landfill after a few use.

this one has all metal gears, stainless tub and heavy gauge chromed steel metal frame
the piston and o-ring - everything looks to be strong enough to withstand the stress of pushing ground meat through a small aperture
 sorry for the interruption - this is another lamb curry i made; served with a lot of cabbage; yum!
still more interruption - these are the closeup of the shady boy sun shade custom mounting adapter and installation
closeup of the front
here you can see the alignment of the fold and that of the fiberglass top is spot on - hence no undue stress placed on the high top
Normally with most of my DIY projects with fab-in-my-garage/driveway sheet aluminum i sand the surface with a orbital sander to achieve a uniform and matte finish. Often sanding of the surface is necessary because the surface invariably get scratched during the fabrication process. This time I decided to leave the shiny surface because I like the shiny surface. It looks like it is made of stainless steel.

also arrived from Amazon is the pasta machine - it is also "used"; i also bought a tub of curing salt #1 enough to last a lifetime of curing meat
 it is "used" because of the blemish on the packaging
 inside everything is fine, including the alignment of the six rollers; this is a real mccoy from italy instead of a cheaply chinese made knockoff
crank handle in the fine cutting rollers
 crank handle in the coarse cutting rollers
 crank handle in the flat rollers
Back to the sewer vent final touch. What remain is to secure the T-fitting I installed. I need to seal the 1.5" ABS pipe protruding from the Camco Ventline vent base with silicone caulking, and I need to secure the T-fitting to the nipple riser with a stainless screw least it get blown off by the wind.

this was the configuration of the field test - just a temporary set up
I would prefer to keep the Camco Ventline cap for the finish look. However when I tried to apply the silicone caulking around the ABS pipe nipple the four plastic tabs and the integral standoff prevented me from applying a uniform bead of caulking. Picking between a well laid bead of caulking and the retention of the cover cap the choice is simple. Hell with the cap.

the four tabs and the standoff of the Camco Ventline vent- the 1.5" abs nipple is just held in place by friction and the confine of the location
 i cut the tabs and the standoff off with a hacksaw
then i filed the cuts smooth
applied the silicone caulking between the abs nipple and the camco ventline vent port base - this is the same tube left over from the cassette toilet project
the silicone caulking serves 2 purposes - keep the 1.5" ABS nipple from sliding down and prevents rain water from seeping in
 you can see the hack job Airstream did - using the sewer vent cutout to feed the TV antenna cable
pre-drilling the hole for the self-tapping SS screw to secure the T-fitting to the nipple; the screw thread will bite into the nipple which i drill a smaller diameter hole
i sighted the aim of the fitting like i would a rifle scope for best laminar flow (OK, i made this one up with poetic license)
 done

As with most of the enhancements I designed, this one is totally reversible. The reversal entail just buying a Camco vent Ventline vent to replace the one I hacked.

i have been researching for the right MB wheel cap for these steel wheels

I checked with my friendly frieghtliner parts person this is the right cap for them. I didn't order it and this photo I found is based on the part number he gave me. I am not convinced it is the right one even though I have seen in in order T1N Sprinters with steel wheel. On the steel wheels of Westalia's NAFTA James Cooks there is just no place to accommodate the protruded tabs. I think these wheels (on Brunnhilde) is special and are different from those I saw on Sprinters with this cap.
Update: Dec 21, 13
Thanks to Anonymous. The center cap for the steel wheel mystery is solved. What had confused me are those tabs. I thought they snap into the big center hole and yet there is no gap between the center hole and the wheel hub to accommodate them. Instead the curved grove of the tabs are intended to grab onto the raised flange of the five wheel bolts.

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your efforts of how to make a good camper into the Perfect Camper!

    If this thing ever goes on the market put me on the list of interested buyers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The middle center Mercedes cap has the little tabs which should snap under the bolts. Just like the larger wheel Dodge covers, there are little tabs which fit under the bolts.

    For a different look, some folks cut out the Dodge Ram center of the larger wheel cover and epoxy/glue the Mercedes cap in the middle--so get the larger coverage with Mercedes middle.

    ReplyDelete