Monday, January 5, 2015

cracklings - life's guilty pleasure



Not that long ago, I would not have thought of eating deep dried pig skin as snacks. While I would eat pig skins when eating roasted pig, I wouldn't know what to do with a piece of pig skin that I trimmed out from a piece of pork butt.

I had tried to make crackling before, but with no success. Instead of light and crunchy, the skin is tough. I gave the matter some thought and I gained some insight. I boiled the skin to soften it first, and that made all the difference.

 i pad dried it and cut into small pieces
 ready to be fried - seasoning to be added later
 they shrunk quite a lot - yield only a small handful of precious snack
 i season them with freshly ground black pepper and salt
a precious snack for a bit of VSOP Cognac

I cannot believe all those pig skin that I threw away over the years. Next time I would try some home mixed Cajun spices. From now on I would make a point of buying pork butt with skin on which I can find at An Dong Market.

My title for this post is just tongue and cheeks. Eating a bit of cracklings in moderation will not shorten you natural life. A diet of excessive sugar, processed food, and refined starch will kill you fast. I like to cook and enjoy real food prepared from scratch. Some may think I must be obese and overweight but that cannot be farther from the truth. I am like small cars in a automotive company. I am the subcompacts that offset the gas guzzlers in the corporate CAFE program so the company can continue to sell profitable supersize SUVs without being penalized by the government.