Wednesday, January 14, 2015

lobster and goat cheese ravioli


Today I decided it is high time that I give my recently acquired new kitchen tool a go. The tool is one of the cheapest acquisition in recent time, but is one that puts a smile on my face.

The tool is a old fashion Italian pasta cutter for making ravioli. While it is something you don't have to have for making ravioli as you can cut and divide the ravioli with a knife. The tiny tool cuts the sheet pasta with the least of fuss, and adds the nice touch making the finished ravioli that much more appetizing. I bought it for $6.50 from Amazon with free shipping!
I had never make ravioli from scratch before. I have not so long ago made a goal of breaking out of my culinary comfort zone. This dish can certainly be one of many. I have some left over lobster meat, juice, and tomalley and I thought, perfect, I would make ravioli with it.

For this dish, I didn't plan it so everything comes from my pantry and refrigerator, except a few sprigs of parsley from the garden.

i shaved off a bit of this Tennessee country smoked ham for accent
most of the ingredients for the ravioli stuffing and final sauce - cream, butter, ginger, big head vegetable, olive oil not shown
i wasn't sure if i would need the rolling pin; i planned to use the pasta machine to roll out the ravioli dough
that is a tiny egg
i manage to keep the left hand clean to take photos
i add water gradually to get the right workable malleability

 the pasta machine did a great job rolling out the dough
the mixture of lobster meat, tomalley, chopped pasley, Greek goat cheese, chopped scallion, chopped ginger, chopped big head vegetable; it is amazing how little of these ingredients you would need to make many serving of most delectable ravioli
 i applied a bit of egg wash to the borders of the ravioli and place a sheet on the top


Once the ravioli are cut I blench them in small batches till the pasta skin is half cooked to stabilize them. I kept them from sticking together in a bowl with just a bit of olive oil.

The finishing off of the dish cannot be easier. More lobster juice, pasta water, heavy cream among the simple steps. Served with a bit of lemon zests and juice and a drizzle of olive oil.
 here is my first serving - mama mia!
While the first serving tasted incredible. The ravioli skin could use a bit longer cooking with a bit more liquid to release the starch to thicken the sauce. Not a better excuse to whip up a second serving. I made a point of adding more pasta water, lobster juice and broth made with the shell, legs, and head, and let it the ravioli soak in the liquid as well as release the starch. The result is the most savory sauce. Mario - move over, or keep doing what you have been doing of late - being a clown on network TV shows.


Getting into making fresh pasta frequently can be a slippery slope. I know all too well how fast they can increase the waistline. I have some Italian friends when I lived in Toronto. As soon as they got married their waist line blew up like a balloon from eating too well at home. Portion size control is key.