Monday, November 30, 2015

in good shape - brunnhilde part 15

A bit over a month ago I removed the Onan generator to restore the spare tire to its rightful place. At the time the installation of the Mach 8 Cub air conditioner was the main project. The removal of the Onan generator and all the power conversion components and cabling associating with the Kerstner 12Vdc air conditioner was something that were also necessary to make a well executed conversion. The spare tire carrier restoration was something that can wait.

Today the package arrived with the 5 pieces of parts I order for the carrier. I was very apprehensive that I order the correct tire carrier basket. According to the Sprinter's parts manual there are 4 different part numbers. Which is/are the compatible with our Westfalia James Cook with 140 inch wheelbase is any one's guess. I have spent hours doing research and at the end I concluded that the only sure way is if I have access to the detail build sheet of our 2004 Sprinter. Of course this does not exist except may be inside the factory back in 2004. I even called the parts supplier and he in turn called Dodge. The answer he received from Dodge was clearly wrong.

He relayed that Dodge said I would need both baskets as depicted in the parts diagram because there is an upper (item 5) and lower (item 11) assemblies. In my mind there is no doubt this guy is smoking something mind altering. I was not expecting Dodge able to offer any help as no one order these parts. I proceed to order what I inferred is the most likely correct one.

there are 4 possible tire baskets for at least 20+ Sprinter body configurations - see under "line" and "body" in the footnotes
One of my biggest fear is the basket I chose is for 15" tires, which may be too small for our 16" tires. I could not wait to tear over the cardboard box and look. I immediate noted something is amiss. There should be two screws and two steel hooks. Instead there are 4 screws and no hooks. These are peanuts and can be rectified relatively easily. My main concern is if the basket fits 16" tire. The quickest check is to pick up the basket and check against the spare tire on Brunnhilde's back door. Perfect!

It was dusk and I wanted to check a few crucial dimensions against Brunnhilde's undercarriage hardpoints where the spare tire should be mounted. Without going into all the specifices I was able to be 95% confident I have the right basket. Further, my plan to reconstruct the two hinge brackets will work as I envisioned.

they sent me 2 extra bolts by mistake instead of the steel hooks I ordered

the four enlongated slots were where the hinge brackets were that Airstream hacked them off

the shallow end (left side in photo) of the basket faces the rear of the vehicle

for the whole week the weather has been frigid with nights dipped below freezing; only the hardiest would work on automotive project outdoors

Now I just have to call the supplier to have them send me the right steel hooks. The long screws in conjunction with the two hooks raises the spare tire basket by drawing it up against the undercarriage, as well as securing them from thief. It is a beautiful and elegant design.

Speaking of beautiful and elegant design. Egg carton is one of the most beautiful everyday objects that most pays little attention. It is something that cannot be improved upon. Despite of this I constantly inexperienced designers (mostly architects and industrial designers) try and failed miserably.

I have long wanted to make an iPhone stand but never got around to. I want it to support watching video in landscape when camping. Now with the iPhone 6s+ I decide to try make one with an egg carton. I originally wanted to make one out of wood, but the egg carton construction is far simpler. At least it can be a temporary one until I get around to make a wood one. A wood one can be designed with shallower foot print compared to the one made with egg carton.

the rough shape with the support for the desired tilt; this is the shallowest i could make it; next just to round out the corners
 done


1 comment:

  1. Is the correct part number for the tire carrier that is compatible with our Westfalia's 05118913AA ?

    Thank you.
    Robert
    robert@treborhomeinspections.com

    ReplyDelete