Tuesday, March 8, 2016

in good shape, isolde - part 3

This is a continuation of the previous post - in good shape, isolde - part 2.

I am using some idle time to putting some icing on the cake so to speak. Small things that just take some time to think through and implement. I bought 2 of this 2 channel digital thermometer from Radio Shack 17 years ago. I bought one extra as a spare. I was in the process of evaluating it as well as finding an satisfactory location to install. I completed the evaluation and were happy with it's functions, accuracy, appearance, and power consumption.

Despite a lot of thinking and looking, I could not find a satisfactory location to mount it. For cheap consumer electronics like this I would not cut nor drill any hole to install.

The recent conversion to the DC refrigerator created an ideal mounting location. The projection of the new fridge creates this ledge just below the faceplate of the Westfalia kitchenette. It offers all the requirements of my design checklist to mount it.

Let's list the functions of this digital thermometer:
  • 1 internal temperature measurement - in
  • 1 remote temperature measurement - out
  • digital clock
  • display temperature in F or C
  • freezing alarm (on/off)
  • powered by 2 AAA batteries - very long operation life
  • voltmeter for monitoring one bank of 12V battery
My design implementation of these features are:
  • use the internal temperature measurement for cabin ambient
  • use the external temperature measurement for refrigerator (the freeze warning will be turned off)
  • digital clock
  • use the voltmeter for monitoring of the starting battery
The ledge on top of the refrigerator is perfect. It is not in the direct path of the forced air stream of the heater and is about the center of the living area of the cabin. It is right above the fridge so routing the external thermister to the inside of the fridge can be made nearly invisible. It is at a location with close proximity sampling of the starting battery voltage (at the Westfalia status panel). It is protected by the ledge so less prone to accidental impact. It is in view when one is in the cabin except sleeping. And the best part yet is no drill of holes is required.

the digital thermometer is detachable from its cradle and the cradle is secured to the flat surface of the ledge with 2 small adhesive pads; the external thermister cable exits the meter on the right hand side and vanished behind the cradle so you can barely see it in this photo (but is there)

tentatively I tacked the thermister near the bottom though I think a place along the right hand wall and near the door represents the warmest part of the fridge

The connection to the voltmeter is via a miniature mic jack. When 12V is present the display also illuminate by the green LED inside. I have not work out a near visible routing of this cable at this point though it too can be routed behind the meter and then enters the kitchenette cabinet.

There are two 4-digit displays can be set to display a number of combinations, just by cycling through the Mode button. When no external 12V is connected, the display can be momentarily illuminated by pressing the big round button. Additionally the meter will log the max and min temperature of the cabin temperature in a 24 hour period.

here set for fridge temperature and cabin temperature

here set for fridge temperature and starting battery voltage

here set for time and cabin temperature

here set for cabin temperature and starting battery voltage

So after 17 years in storage I finally put this digital meter to the intended purposes.

Another long overdue enhancement project is installing a cup holder in the cockpit. While I didn't try try very hard, after 26 years I have not found a satisfactory cup holder nor the mounting location. My need for a cup holder is very simple. It must within reasonable reach while driving, and can hold a small cup of coffee (like Starbucks standard cup) or a bottle water. One primary restriction is the cup holder requires no more than up to 2 minimal fasteners. Should the cup holder breaks and a replacement is unavailable the holes drilled must be able to be re-purposed without leaving scars behind.

this wide bottom coffee mug served well for many years; it rest stably on the floor but it holds more coffee than I care now


For the location of the cup holder, the primary requirements are it must not interfere with easy access between the cockpit and the cabin. It must reasonably to be able to withstand accidental impacts and bumps.

For a very confined cockpit, to me the Cup-Link cup holder in my Mini Cooper S by Minifini is the best. It is sturdy, simple, with restrained appearance, and can pivot horizontally.

Minifini cup holder in the Mini Cooper S


I reviewed the possibility of installing the Minifini's cup holder but it is not feasible without significant risk of wasting $65.

Of all the cup holders installed in the Vanagon cockpit, this is the only one I find acceptable. I really like the tool bar concept of the design. The 18-inch long grab bar with 1 inch diameter allows limitless variety of devices to be mounted.

linked photo credit - GypsyCamper on The Samba

Unfortunately Isolde has a manual gearbox. The 3 forward positions of the shift pattern render 2/3 of the bar unusable for most accessories especially cup holder of any design.

Isolde's manual gearshift

I have been brain storming of all options. In the end I settled on a design using a combination of RAM mount components. As follows are all the RAM components I entertained.

cup holder with standard dual ball ends and a diamond base

single bolt mount low profile ball
example use of single bolt mount low profile ball

standard diamond base ball


offset single bolt mount ball

supersize tough claw - for grabbing to the front table leg


cup holder alone
short (2 inch) arm - it is a better choice to use in my situation than a standard (3 inch) arm
I went ahead and place an order for a few of these components.

here is my tentative location to mount the diamond ball base
what I hold in the photo is not the cup holder assemblies but just what I have to gauge the projection with a standard 3" arm

The advantage with deciding on a RAM system is I already invested in a system of their products. Even should the company cease to exist I have enough component to further and evolve the setups to accommodate mobile devices that I have yet to own. All the parts are on order.

Update 2016.03.09:
I have been a big fan of RAM system. It is the only good modular mounting system out there for prosumers. Before RAM, I had a cheaper smartphone mount that was quite nice, considering the state of this kind of product when the iPhone 3GS was new. The problem is the hard plastic balls are tiny and the ball surface offers little friction so you have to really tighten the joints. Still the feeble ball joints slipped and the phone drooped. Something you don't want to deal with while driving.

not so good smartphone mount with ball joints (left) and RAM take no prisoner mounting system (right)

RAM's success is built on a very simple design - a strong ball joint with rubber coating on a structurally sound skeleton
the second generation RAM suction cup (right) is bomb proof and there is very little there is to be improved upon


Then RAM came along with their 1" rubber coated ball joint system. They now have a huge pattern portfolio and a huge range of products built upon a very simple idea. However if you examine the design of all their products, you can see the ingenuity of very competent mechanical design.

A lot of folks balk at the higher prices of their products. To me their modular design is actually very economical in the long run. When my mobile devices become obsolete, I only have to purchase a new cradle for the new device. A form-fit cradle for iPhone under $10 shipped, and I have total confidence it will fully meet my expectations.

you can count on this form-fit cradle to secure you smartphone even if you mount it on the handle bar of a motorcross unless you crush

form-fit iPad mount in Brunnhilde


form-fit iPhone mount for Brunnhilde - the phone and cradle can both be fitted to where the iPad is, as well as move to any of my other vehicles with the least of fuss

This brings me to my displease with the company due to a recent product. As has been many years now, RAM has not failed to release a form-fit cradle for any iPhone (or iPad) model. Each time I only have to shell out $10. When I recently replaced my iPhone 5S with a 6S Plus, again I turned to RAM for a form-fit cradle. A form-fit cradle is one that is designed to hold the phone securely by snapping it into the cradle - like an interference-fit design. I knew when the new phone was released that while it looks indistinguishable from the 6 Plus released 12 months before the outer dimensions are increased slightly.


Unable to find a new cradle (stated clearly) for the iPhone 6S Plus, I called RAM. I was told that they are aware of the dimension changes, and have not decide if they will produce one for the newest iPhone. I ask if he can provide an ETA and he offered nothing, citing the high cost of the injection mold. I asked if RAM position that the cradle for slightly bigger iPhone 6S Plus and he acknowledged it would be too tight despite only 1 or 2 tenths of mm increase.

I patiently waited for 4 months, hoping RAM will do what it always have done - release a form-fit cradle for it. They did not. It seems as though they were displeased with Apple not providing accessory manufacturers with advance dimensions before the product launch.

Reviewing the dimensions again I decide to purchase the 6 Plus cradle and plane to shave off a bit of plastic if needed.

I can understand RAM's position. Form-fit cradle is a very niche market and most people would just settle on a universal cradle and be done with, and RAM too is catering to the much wider market with their X-Grib cradles. Examining the product range on their website I see a trend. RAM has expanded their product ranges to cover new applications including cup holder. They can do quite well even if they completely abandon the form-fit category. Checking some most popular smartphones on their website found they only make form-fit cradles only for Apple phones (and iPads too), and not another brands.

RAM X-Grib universal mount - not for me!





I have my fingers cross for the cradle that I ordered but have not receive. Looking forward, I hope RAM will continue to release form-fit cradles for Apple products. Customers like me (many use them for their 2-wheel or marine transportation) are what RAM owes their early success and continue to be loyal customers.

Update 2016.03.10:
It would address one of my original idea of using a home made aluminum bar (like 0.1" thick by 1 1/4" wide x 16" long) to mount the standard diamond ball base. The say 16" aluminum would be fastened to the Vanagon's steel surface of the lower dash front. It would serve as an adapter plate in which I can add or delete mounting bases along the aluminum bar. The bar serves as a sort of tool bar.

I was just exploring the expanded product range at RAM Mounts site and I found this track mount ball. It is design to be uses on accessory track for water sports.

the track mount ball is $17.49 list

The down side with this nice sliding mount is it increase the projection of the base by about 1 1/4"; hence increase the already long cantilever of the cup holder. It is hard to gauge how it will work until I receive the cup holder and feel the built-up assembly in my hands.

the nice tracks are quite expensive
The other challenge with these track is they are 1 5/16" almost 2" wide which is a bit wider than the wide of the steel surface of the dash front. I have to catch myself on the downfalls of feature creep.



No comments:

Post a Comment