Tuesday, May 31, 2016

a multi-function display for isolde - part 5




This is a continuation of a previous post a multi-function display for isolde - part 4. I have been searching for ways to mount the OLED display and the joystick onto Isolde's accessory track. My plan is to hide away the Arduino Uno and the miscellaneous electronics in an enclosure.

At the mean time, I treated myself to a nice keyboard. After a lot of handon tests and research, I bought and keep this Corsair D70 per key red backlight with Cherry MX blue mechanical keys. I actually had tried a Strafe with Cherry MX red keys but decided to return it and go with this one instead.


Of all the keyboards I have every used and tried, this is about the closest thing to perfect. I really like the solid feel of the keys when they strikes the bottom. My only desire on improvement is the large keys that do not feel or sound as nice as the small keys. These large keys include the space bar.

While at Fry's, I tried a Poseidon Z made by Thermotake with red switches. It is another keyboard that I really like. What make this keyboard stand out is that even the large keys feel nice. However with some research they no longer use Cherry MX key switches. They still use the misleading terms of "blue switch" and "red switch", but these keyboards are built with another brand (reportedly Kailh) of key switches.

Tt eSport Poseidon with "blue switch" keyboard - I would buy in a heartbeat if it were made with Cherry MX blue keys but alas they are no more



You can set the backlight illumination on any one set of keys, or the entire keyboard. I set the custom setup to illuminate the G, H, and the Up, Down, Left, and Right arrow keys. This still leave the ability to toggle to full keyboard illumination. Additionally there are three levels of selectable levels of illumination, and off. The multimedia controls and keys work as well as one can expect. In all, I am very satisfied with this keyboard. My love life with my PC is completely renewed because of it.



While there are a lot of enclosures for Arduino Uno, I have not found one that is satisfactory. The problem with them is most are designed to house only the Uno, or a Uno and a Ethernet shield. This is a typical dead leading dead phenomena. For most of us hobbyist, our need is an enclosure for the Uno and most typically a prototype board and may be a tiny breakout boards. No one make one that is acceptable.

here is one really cool enclosure, but alas it is a form fit design for Raspberry Pie; I have contacted them and it looks right now they are receptive to the idea of making it to house a Arduino Uno and some additional bit




I thought this plastic Ram Mount ball joint might make a lily pad for the OLED display and the joystick

it is just big enough to accommodate both

one problem with the "lily pad" is the back side is hollow with ribs

I thought that a card can be used to cover up the voids

I found one that has tasteful graphic design; it will act like a substrate for the OLED display and the joystick

I used 3M VHD tape to hold everything in place and here is a mockup on Ioslde's accessory track; what you don't see is I trimmed off about 1cm off the top and bottom side of the "lily pad"; I also trimmed off the width of the credit card that serves as the mounting substrate here

I do plan to hide the interconnect cables. I just haven't figure out how to create a cover for the "lily pad" in which the OLED and joystick sit on.

Of all the DIY uC hobbyists projects this digital wristwatch project is the most impressive, in my opinion. All it need is a nice 3d printed case and someone in Germany has made one.

the sad truth is after 3 years this video only has 76k views - yet some hollow head girl in bikini has 1 million views in a week

No comments:

Post a Comment