Friday, September 16, 2016

pc updates - part 1


I have been disciplined. My desktop Windows PC that I assembled myself is now about 5 years old. The two LCD monitors are 8 to 10 years old. They are both Dell 1920x1200 LCD. I would be happy to continue using them have it not because of their fluorescent backlight. One of them is quite tired. They also run quite hot which is an indication of the high power consumption compared to the current offering that has LED backlight.

One of my recent update is a Consair K70 keyboard with Cherry MX blue key switches. I cannot be happier with it. The other is this no name gamer's mouse. I am amazed how good this mouse is. It is no less than name brand like Consair that cost 3 times more.



I have been wanting a higher resolution monitor for a while. Last year the 4k monitors were still expensive, especially when you factor in the graphics card that is required to support it were relatively expensive and risky to buy. When the 5k iMac was first announce, I jumped for it as there were nothing at the time in the PC offering not to mention the incredible specs. However, I just do not like Mac OS's dumbdown user interface as well as not being able to take control of the low level hardware settings myself. Further I intensely dislike the Apple keyboard and mouse. It is OK if I just use it as a web browsing machine.

A few days ago I came my local Costco started carrying this 28-inch Samsung 4k monitor, and there is a $30 instant rebate. It was an unplanned impulse purchase for me. I have no disillusion of what I am getting into. I know that my graphics card would not support it as it lack the version of DVI, Displayport, or HDMI to support it. I was not looking forward to having to research the graphics card to make it work. The price tag of the monitor is too attractive to pass over, however. I took one home.


I searched on the web to try finding product specification on this monitor. There is no hit on the model number. It is all too common for manufacturers to create unique model number for deep discount outlets like Costco. It is basically the same as U28E590D. Samsung provides next to no useful information of this monitor on their website. A bit of search and I found this very detail review of the monitor. One thing that I immediately notice is the one from Costco does have VESA mount provision while the one in the review does not. For me VESA mount compatibility is a must when I consider a monitor or small LCD TV.

I have three 1920x1200 LCD monitor. The oldest one was one of the first LCD monitor in this resolution that I paid dearly for it over circa 15 years ago. It was in the infancy of DVI spec. In fact at the time the ability of DVI 1.0 spec ability to support this resolution was very much in dispute. It costed me $1300 in today's dollars and weights 18 lbs. It still works and I used it with a Win 2000 desktop for he rare occasions that I need with this old Windows OS and applications.

My plan is to waterfall one of the two Dell monitors to my secondary Windows desktop PC. The new 4k monitor with be used with my primary Win 7 desktop in conjunction of the newer of the two Dell 1920x1200 monitors. Under no circumstance would I buy a so called full HD 1920x1080 monitor. 16:9 aspect ratio in this resolution simply does not have enough vertical resolution for me for a desktop computer. One most tragic development about notebook PCs is the adaption of 16:9 aspect ratio but I digress.

My goal now is to find a good enough graphics card for this new 4k monitor without breaking the bank. The challenge is compounded by my wanting to keep one of the old 1920x1200 monitor. The graphics card must support 2 monitors and with vastly different resolutions. I found one prospective card yesterday but within the course of the day, the price jumped $20. I am rather unhappy I could not have purchased it when I first saw it. I still have to conduct due diligence research and by the time I feel comfortable of the choice the price has jumped. Patience.

Update: 20.9.2016
When I saw this monitor at Costco, my immediately thought is why would Costco sell this monitor? A 4k monitor is not exactly plug and play for most people's existing personal computer. It requires the right graphic card as well as knowing which of the interface port to use - HDMI, DVI, or Displayport. There are a lot more. For example, just because you PC has a HDMI port does not mean you can obtain 4K resolution of this display. Additionally what framer rate you can achieve is also another variable.

As of today I have not open the box in case I want to call the whole thing off. Yesterday I found a graphics card within the price point that I aimed for and ordered it.

To my point about Costco is crazy to be selling this monitor as likely most people who bring one home is bound to return it. Here is proof. The equivalent monitor sold and shipped by Amazon has a lot of Amazon Warehouse Deals. It is a clear indication even on Amazon, the return rate of this monitor is extremely high. Most buyers do not conduct adequate research and are ill-prepare to deal with the need to upgrade their computer to support this monitor.

Additionally I also found out Samsung sold this monitor under a few model numbers. The generic model number for the one with VESA mount support is U28E590D while the one in the Tom's Hardware review without the VESA mount support is U28D590D. Typical Samsung's sleazy tactic to save a few pennies. To me it is mind-blowing that a specialty monitor like this are mostly purchased by early adopters. Not providing a VESA support is just plain cheap and shortsighted.

this is the current price on Amazon - this is VESA mount compatible


No comments:

Post a Comment