Friday, January 13, 2017

servicing brunnhilde's propane tank gauge


The fuel level gauge in Brunnhilde has never function during my ownership. I would eventually suspect that it is caused by a stuck float mechanism inside the tank. I have been waiting for the opportunity to inspect it when the propane tank is empty.

The chance would come in the most inopportune time. I have been leaving a burner set to the lowest flame to keep Brunnhilde's interior warm so the faucets would not freeze. We have the most severe snow storms this winter as well as consecutive days of extreme low temperature that threaten damage to the plumbings in Brunnhilde.


the arrival of a history snow storm here in Portland

A few days ago before the arrival of the historic snow storm the propane tank became empty. I took the opportunity to remove the level sensor from the tank. Removing it was easy. The float mechanism has no sign of being stuck. It move freely.

I attached the magnetic gauge dial to it and verify the dial function as I exercise the float through the range of movement.

float at down position - dial indicates empty

I also inspect the float for any puncture and there is none. I suck on it with my mouth and had the most unpleasant taste because of the odor agent.

float at up position - dial indicates full

As I re-install the float back into the tank, I could sense that the float arm binds against the tank wall. I just could not re-install it without risking breaking it. I figured I have to drop the tank and try to screw it back on with the hole facing the sky. A bad day to do this but I have no choice. Soon it would started to shower but I forged on.

A few words of caution. You would want to be extremely careful when servicing a propane tank fittings. Never try to remove one without absolutely and positively sure the tank is completely empty and not under any pressure. A tank with liquid and vapor propane can have a few hundred PSI of pressure.

the level sensing float is the left most port on the tank

Pretty soon I would suspect the reason the gauge never work is because the float arm has been misshaped from the factory. The float movement was stuck because it came into contact with the tank wall.

here you can see the float arm is misshaped and becomes too long at the very far tip of the float; the rain started to fall at this point and the air temperature was just 33 degrees F

I carefully modified the bends of the arm to shorten the farthermost reach (it now more resembles a paint roller). A replacement one would sure cost quite a bit of money.

The snap-on gauge dial has 4 brittle hard plastic tabs that crab onto the brass head of the float level sensor. Someone before has broken off 2 of the 4 tabs so the dial precariously attached. Once I verify the gauge is functioning properly, I would cement it down with some epoxy resin instead of wasting $35 on a replacement. I also not wanting to reward Manchester Tank for a poorly designed product - these brittle plastic tabs.


The tank took 6.5 gallons of liquid propane to fill from fully empty.

4 comments:

  1. wouldn't a small electric heater be better? The fan would help distribute the heat and setting it on the floor would provide heat in the lower parts of the vehicle. The propane burning adds water vapor that could condense on cold metal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob. You are so right to point out the propane burning adds water vapor and condensation on cold metal is a real problem. Alas I resorted to this as one of many emergency measures. I did not properly winterize the camper this year and caught by our multiple extremely consecutive cold days. I do have a fan driven electric heater set to low heat under the bathroom floor. I also partially filled the water system with some antifreeze. Addition to the water vapor from combustion, carbon dioxide is my other concern. It must leave the condensate to be acidic as well. It is next to impossible to find well made electric heater in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I recently lucked out and picked up a Westi. I'm going to be visiting my brother next week in Portland and I was wondering if I could see your rig and pick you brain in person? I'll be there Tues - Thurs next week.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on sprintersource as BellaMarSpirits
      Or you can email me at zeped020@cougars.csusm.edu

      Delete