Sunday, August 13, 2017

broken header


At the recent track event the Mini's header broke open in the back straight at Portland International Raceway.

the RAM mount for the iPhone used as the camera



there were this big group of young Chinese, some with very good cars

there was this Miata only race earlier that day

he is not that serious

Kristine is very fast in her Mini



the header broke at 4:44; it is actually very loud but the iPhone AGC made it not so


Reviewing the video I can see I left so much on the table in so many places. I hit the rumble strips hard too because my lines were sloppy. That day I moved my seat forward and could never get comfortable and my food just never feel at home all day.

it is scary how little space there is between sway bar and the undercarriage where you would have to snake the header out to do the repair or replacement

this is where the cup shape pipe broke from the pre-catalytic converter; you can see the corrosion at the break so the crack has been developing for a while; the failure is at the weld joint which must have made the steel more brittle

to see if I can repair it with my MIG welder I did the magnet test; SS is stainless and MS is mild steel





No comments:

Post a Comment