Wednesday, August 30, 2017

some random dishes


These are just some casual dishes that I made lately.



Japanese dried sea scallops and Chinese black tree fungus

re-hydrating the fungus

fish maws being re-hydrated

instead of baby abalones I used razor clams instead in this braised dish

all braised in a clay pot - but the ingredients were added at different time based on how easy they are to cooked



I came across chicken wings at good price so I snapped up a few pounds

I marinated a batch in assortment of dried spices, salt, vinegar, and a few dashes of Thai fish sauce and baked them in the tiny broiler oven of my Japanese gas stove. I used no sugar as I dislike sugar glazed anything.


Japanese gas stove with a tiny broiler oven that is perfect for baking 6-8 of these wing pieces

the broiler oven is smaller than a toaster oven


I would only allow myself 6 of these in a setting

Alaska Coho salmon

soup noodles with home made beef meatballs and live clams

still more perfectly broiled chicken wings

I had a bottle of Spanish wine that tasted too green and sweet. Rather than wasting it I went and bought some ingredients to make a pot of beef stew.



Still with a left over piece of beef I made a small pot of curry beef stew, inspired by Japanese style curry beef. Instead of using the store bought Japanese curry sauce mix I recreated the sauce with my own improvisation of curry powder, black pepper, bay leaves, and turmeric powder. I also used some palm sugar.

it is so good to eat with some creamy French style whole milk yogurt

this is the common Japanese curry sauce mix the taste I improvised


one day I craved a pizza so I drove the Mini through the twisties to pick up a New York style pizza; their pizza is the only one that I would buy; last time I have ordered pizza is 12 years ago - not counting the not so good freebies at work


curry beef served with rice and French style creamy whole milk yogurt

I really hate that I have to emphasis the yogurt is French style whole milk yogurt. This is because in USA most yogurt sold are inedible. I used to make my own yogurt.

I made the Japanese style curry beef into a proper Cantonese style lo mein (noodles mixed with a delectable sauce)


another lo mein served with home made beef meatballs and smoked brisket

No comments:

Post a Comment