Monday, November 20, 2017

mini love - part 34


It has been a great weekend in the progress of taking care of a few loose ends on the Mini. One of these is the oil pressure gauge adapter which to my horror was leaking oil. I have since decommissioned the oil pressure gauge until I have time to investigate, arrives at a satisfactory solution and recommission it.


this was a photo taken in the summer with the engine hot at idle

an old photo of the t-adapter which had very few threads engaged to the aluminum oil filter housing

The reason I decommissioned the oil filter gauge was while there was a small leak from the NPT threads I was reluctant to give it one more turn afraid that I might strip the softer threads on aluminum filter housing. This weekend I decided to get to the bottom of this. To install the t-adapter is easier said than done due to the extreme space constraints of the Mini's engine packaging. A heat shield for the muffler must first be removed before you can even see the stock oil pressure switch.

the stock oil pressure switch removed

in late summer when I decommissioned the oil pressure gauge I taped up the compression fitting and the nylon line with a piece of duct tape to protect it

the orientation of the side port on the t-adapter has to be in an exact angle for the nylon line to access it

With a lot of care I incrementally torque down the t-adapter until the side port is at the exact angle. I didn't want to over rotate the adapter and having to back it out slightly. Once I am happy with the t-adapter angle - checking it a few times, I proceeded to install the oil pressure switch onto the end.  This time I was able to orientate the oil pressure switch such that the locking and release mechanism of the connector faces downwards - hence out of the harmful radiant heat of the feeder pipes of the exhaust header.

I cut a strip of fiberglass cloth to wrap around the oil pressure switch connector to protect it from the red hot exhaust pipes

I wanted to secure the fiberglass cloth with a loop of steel wire but it was just to difficult to work in the tight confine with both hands. I ended up just use two cable ties.

this is the photo taken before the heat shield of the exhaust header is re-installed


here you can see why the orientation of the oil pressure pickup port for the oil pressure gauge is so important; only this specific angle works


I have been thinking of a shift light. I don't care for installing equipment into the Mini to make it looks cool. Only things that have utility would get pass the first go/no go. I have to admit that I have at time been distracted on the track only to be saved by the RPM cutout in the DME. Most race shift gauges has more features than I think I need. Additionally the cockpit in the Mini is very constrained for any additional gauges if you want to maintain the elegant interior design.

I actually quite like this very reasonably priced Auto Meter shift light. It is the most reasonably priced product like this. However Mini already has a very legible rev counter at the most prominent location, so another tachometer just does not make sense for well-sorted car. Most race shift lights has gear indicator, which seem like a nice feature. The truth is I don't think anyone driving on the track find the gear indicator of much use.

Auto Meter 233911 Autogage Shift-Lite Tachometer
The only place to mount the Autogage Shift-Lite Tachometer is on top of the dash as it is quite large. The techometer diameter is 5 inches. The problem is the extra techometer is redundant and obscures a good part of the windshield. This is why I am thinking of making my own shift light, which would only have a single shift indicator light - mounted by the stock techometer. The only reason that I would want to bother with a project like this is I cannot find a minimalist shift light. A project like this can be done with a cheap Arduino controller. For the shift light alone, still the time and work required is hard to justified. To take advantage of the synergy I can bundle a few other functions that are sorely desired for the Mini.
  • The ones that comes to mind are:
  • Switch off the ASC traction control when the engine starts
  • One touch passenger window autoup
  • Oil pressure loss siren and indicator and may be immediate engine shut off
These are just a few ideas that comes to mind.

a simple shift indicator light like this mount next to the stock techometer would be ideal

















No comments:

Post a Comment