Friday, December 8, 2017

mini love - part 36


Whatever I buy there is work that needs to be carried out timely in case there is something wrong so to not miss the return window.

service engine soon indicator illuminated; this occurs coincidentally right after I disconnected the battery to work on the motor mount spacer


There were some mishap with my initial attempt to use the Bytetronik. The instruction advises you to connect a battery charger to the Mini to ensure the battery voltage does not drop during the programming process (as very bad thing can happen). I first started with INPA to make sure all is well. I also wanted to find out why the Service Engin Soon light illuminates and to clear it anyway as it is just a routine maintenance. When I first launched INPA it properly detected the battery and ignition as expected. However, soon both status went de-asserted, and I thought it was my cheap $14.49 OBD 2 dongle cable.

Scratching my head, I proceeded to try the Bytetronik for the first time. I did notice the Harborfreight cheapo trickle battery charger LEDs has only the amber illuminated indicating it is charging, but the voltage is still low.

Launching the FA53 all seemed well. I was able to test out a few functionality including checking for DTCs. There was only one DTC. It was fuel refilling cap leaking, which I found and corrected just a day ago because of a loose gas cap. I clear the DTC and it worked, so I was now confidently to proceed with more advanced functions.

I wanted to read the stock ROM and stock tune of the Mini ECU, in order to save a backup as well as to send a copy to Bytetronik for off premise safekeep. The command to do this is to download the FA53 fast logging code into the ECU. This is not something you want to do lightly as the possibility of bricking the ECU is real, hence the battery charger to ensure the voltage does not sag during the process.

Unbeknownst to me the Harborfreight charger is not up to the task. As I initiate the command the FA53 screen responded a few lines of command line echo, including the battery voltage of circa 12.45V. There was no movement on the % progress bar however. It was unclear if the program has crashed, or just busy doing its things. I waited longer than what the manual says it should take, and still there is no movement. I decided to contact Bytetronik, as the last thing I want is to brick the ECU.

Lucky for me Mike confirmed that the FA53 program did not go forward with the command because it detected the voltage being too low. Only then did I feel comfortable to terminate the program, and replace the battery charger with my CTEK charger.

With the much better charger I tested the ODB 2 with IMPA and its $14.49 dongle first. The result confirmed that my problem with it was indeed due to battery voltage too low. It is a cold day with blustery wind. I proceeded to upload the FA32 logging code into the Mini ECU. This time everything went without a hitch. The program retrieved the stock ROM image as well as the stock tune.

I gathered up the courage to test out the Bytetronik FA53 tuning software and to check out the Miniport OBD 2 dongle; I had an inflated sense of a tune Meister

When I set out to consider buying the Bytetronik Full Access tuning software kit, I have very good idea what I am getting into. I know as long as I proceed with care, it should deliver what I am looking for, more information about my Mini and also learn something new in the process. This is just the beginning.

The Innovate MTX-L Plus wide band air/fuel gauge that I ordered arrived.

the Geschenk for Mini just keep coming - this is the Innovate MTX-L Plus wide band air/fuel gauge 

you get a lot for this gauge kit and all appears to be very high quality


the Bosch LSU4.9 wide band oxygen sensor and the bung for welding onto the exhaust header

I have been dreaming one of this

this 8 oz mallet feels good in the hands

this is the only brass hammer they have - someone labeled it as 1.5 oz; this moron has no business in a hardware store

this 8 oz ball peen hammer also feel right

I spent some time to remove the pesky paper labels

I went to the hardware store across town to pick up two 10.9 bolts

pesky labels are gone

I inspected the ODB II connector to note the orientation as well as potential constraints for an extension cable

this photos shows what pins are used in the Mini - 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, and 16; also I didn't know until now that the clutch master cylinder is plastic just like the slave cylinder

this is the extension cable that I try to verify that works well with the Mini's ODB port; note the direction of the cable entry WRT the plug


here is an ODB II connector pinout - showing the vendor-specific pins


this is a pinout from Wikipedia for what is worth - do note the BMW's vendor-specific pins and functions (with a big grain of salt as BMW uses of these pins changed over the year range)


I took the opportunity to inspect the rubber on the pedals for wear - they are like new; also noted the European Parcel Shelf features for cable entry and exit should I decide to place the Bytetronik and the MTX-L Plus gauge there


note the rubber shock mount for the AC refrigerant service port

this is how the shock mount looks like

the sticky label covers up one of the four bolt holes for the Cabrio cross brace

my Mini is provisioned with the 4 bolt holes for the Cabrio cross brace; the one with the big arrow had me defeated as it is very difficult to install and tighten that M6x14 Torx bolt

this 8 oz Erwin plastic mallet also feels right in the hands; they has no brass mallet at all





I found this driving shoes on Amazon for only $24.99 so I decided to give it a try

it is nicely narrow without the common "stability" exaggerated support platform "design"

here I till the outside edge up slightly so you can see the side

pretending to do heel and toe at the set of lights


I spent a lot of time checking the ODB port on the Mini and how I want to route the extension cable for used with the Bytetronik FA53 Miniport module. I went shopping on Amazon for an extension cable with the optimum length and orientation so the Miniport can reside securely on the European parcel shelf. I made sure that the cable has all 16 pins routed between the male and female connectors. What can go wrong when you are as thorough as possible?

note that the production title as well as the description emphasize 16 pin


I was careful not to buy this one that only has 9 pins routed


The cable arrived and even the plastic ziploc bag shows all 16 pins are supposed to be routed. I didn't ran out to the Mini and just try it. The reason is just because some functions that I test work has no guarantee that all the signals are available on the far end of the extension cable. Hence I broke out my DMM and checked the continuity of all corresponding pins between the two connectors.

note the ziploc bag shows all 16 pins are supposed to be routed


I broke out the trusty DMM to verify and the result is not good

The pins that are routed are 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 14, 15, 16. The pins that are not routed are 1, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13. Additionally, Pins 4 and 5 are shorted which suggest they did this to save one lousy connector because both these are ground. As in the above photo the pins used in the Mini are 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, and 16.



So what gives? It appears that they are all selling the same cable in both of these listings, despite the different representation. I have noted that many buyers' post purchase review report their Scangauge II does not work with the extension cable. Sure, as the standard ODB II signal pins are routed most basic data are still accessible, but not with many vendor-specific information.

I really like how this cable is made as it would tuck nicely away from the busy left foot bracing onto the dead pedal on the track.

Right now the only cable that I have faith is this one, which I can always take matter into my own hands:


this looks to be a nice quality brass hammer, I wish it is 1/2 pound though



No comments:

Post a Comment