Sunday, November 18, 2018

cantonese congee - part 2



I had not made congee for years until recently. One reason that I hadn't because I thought a bowl of congee does not constitute a meal for a hungry man. Congee is typically eaten as a light breakfast in many Asian countries.

Congee is very easy to make as the secret is time - I call him my sous chef Chrono. The technique is very similar to making a good and honest soup. It is the ingredients that count. Here is my third batch in a fortnight. The ingredient that I wish I had is quality Japanese dried scallops. I used up my last few and I can no longer find them in Portland.

I didn't take photos of all the ingredients so these just to give you some idea




I put in some frozen Alaska cod from Trader Joes and they are just plain crap and a waste of these fish from the sea - I might as well put in some plastic

sliced canned abalone from Mexico - this is the cheapest one as good one can cost 10x or more

I drizzled in a dash of excellent Korean sesame oil that I have and that added so much depth to the congee; and by the way finely ground white pepper corn is a must for this congee as well as chopped scallion and thinly sliced ginger

never buy sesame oil in those tiny bottles as most are crap and many are just ripoffs - this is the size you want for quality (Korean stores)


I love to eat with this very thin stainless steel soup spoons from Thailand over the clumsy thick Chinese ones



No comments:

Post a Comment