Tuesday, December 11, 2018

mini love - part 47


This is a catchup post. This event happened in October.

Wanting to have a wider selections of high performance tires for track I decided to switch from 16 inch wheels to 15 inch. It was not a simple switch as the Wilwood front brakes are too large to fit inside any 15 inch wheels. For the switch I had to reduce the brake rotors from 12.20" to 11.75". Even then only none but the few 15 inch wheels designed for track focus would fit, and just barely with next to no space between the caliper and the wheel barrel.


the Wilwood front brakes with 12.20" rotor

my 16" SSR Type C track wheels


I already have a set of these excellent and affordable Konig Dial-In 15" wheels. However it leaves no clearance between the caliper and the wheel barrel, and obviously putting the wheel weigh by the spokes is out of the question. The danger of having no clearance is a tiny piece of gravel can wedge in the non-existent gap and cause damage. Worst is should you hit a bad pothole and bend the wheel the caliper and the mount can be badly damaged.

these 15x7 Konig Dial-In wheels barely fit with the reduced diameter brake rotors

I started researching what 15" wheels could provide increased spacing from the front brake caliper. Unfortunately no one provide quantitive measurement except "my wheels fit" comments. Further no one have any experience with the Konig Dial-In series combined with the Wilwood brakes that I have. By the series I mean the different wide and offset offered in this model of wheels. The reason I focus on the Konig Dial-In is it is among the lightest and yet affordable. The closest contenders are 949 Racing's 6UL, and some other flow formed wheels sold by Tire Rack.

I started looking more seriously at 15x8 Konig Dial-In. I knew right from the start that 8" wide wheel would be very challenging to fit and very likely cause interference with the fender lips, and cause tire rubbing against the wheel well at full steering locks. I have to choose the wheel offset very carefully.

15x7 Konig at full lock - no rubbing

the 15x7 Konig has next to zero gap between the caliper and wheel barrel

So if the same model wheel in 15x7 is too tight with the Wilwood brakes that I have why bother to look at the 15x8 ones in the same series? It is the offset. The wider wheel has less positive offset that is required for the Mini to better the chance they (front and back) will fit and less likely to rub. Obviously with these extreme wide (for Mini without modified fenders) the chance is the tires will rub against something is very real. They bound to protrude slightly outside the wheel arches.

I can plan and guess all I want and the only way to find out is to buy a wheel and check. Even then the final test is to have the tires mounted onto a full set and test drive them in varied conditions, especially on race tracks.

I first order one wheel to perform preliminary check

I prefer the gun metal matte gray

these is one of the lightest and strongest (for the weight) 15x8 wheel and the price is right, and you have all the choices of sizes as long as you want 15"

the only available sizes in the Dial-In series


it is very hard to tell how much the tire may protrude as the suspension is not compressed


as the wheel is wider and moves slightly more outboard 25mm vs 35mm ET the highest portion of the barrel is moved outboard; this increase the spacing to the brake caliper to a comfortable level

there is now even room to accommodate wheel weights if they are placed carefully

I happen to have some weight around to check



the spacing WRT the rear trailing arm as well as the anti-sway bar





the spacing to the front strut is plentiful

the tire should not interfere with the lower spring perch

I had done as much due diligence checks as I could. There is no certainty that these wheels would work out. There are potentials that once the tires are mounted and suspension articulates, and steering wheels are turned a problem or more occur.

I feel there is a small chance these would workout, without the need to modify the fenders. The odd that is on my side is Mini has very little suspension travel (from normal ride height to full compression). The next step is to order a full set of wheels and tires.


No comments:

Post a Comment