Tuesday, May 7, 2019

porsche love - part 2


Porsche is an aspirational brand and so is Apple. The main difference is the latter is an affordable one that is more accessible for most. I bought myself a little something - to borrow the Amazon's not so subtle tag line to entice you to spend.


I bought myself a little something. I bought a watch band for the Apple Watch.

the new Nike Sports Band - I like it gives the new look to the watch

my other band

still more a little something for myself - more track performance equipment that I long resisted

this one is most reasonably priced and has the best probe design

I tested it by probing the sun shone spot and a spot in the shade; its respond was immediate and stabilize right away - an evidence that the thermocouple tip has very low thermal mass (which is what you want)

still more a little something for myself - a butane burner for food preparation; more of this later

getting ready to change the engine oil and filter on the GT4

it was sunny so I protect the Quickjack hydraulic pump and hose from the harmful UV rays

at full height on the Quickjack I cannot open the rear hatch fully due to the garage door; which is OK as I would lower the car once I drain the oil and change the oil filter

The oil filter is recessed way up high looking from under the car. Being in this orientation it will make a big mess when you remove the filter so better do something to protect the parts around it. I used some packing paper that is headed to recycling bin.



the engine oil drain plug is at a easy to access location

the engine oil capacity is 7.6 liters so better have a big container to catch it all

I see no reason not to reuse the crush washer

even with abundance of care you will have a mess removing the oil filter

this filter from Rock Auto is identical to Porsche OE except for the parts marking

Porsche OE filter element - both ends are symmetrical so you don't need to worry about installing it wrong

first push the element so it seats on the plastic filter housing cup

and don't forget to replace the o-ring

no abnormal appearance to the oil filter



This is what you get with a mid engine car. A lot of extra work to change the oil if you want to guard against the potential spill onto the nice carpet.

There is no dipstick and relying on the fancy level sensor to report the engine level is a major PITA. The solution is to figure out exactly home much oil you need to pour in by carefully marking the level on the second container.

with filter change the oil capacity is approximately 7.5 litres


a bit of quick math

I need to pour in one full 4.73 liter container to the left plus more from the container to the right down to where I marked with a green permanent pen (at about 2 liter remain mark)

I used a wide mouth oil funnel (now photographed)

To get the electronic engine oil level sensor to report the level the oil must reach operation temperature which on the Porsche is like forever even driving around the blocks. Then you have to shut off the engine and wait for the oil to settle before the level would be reported.

the oil level is good to go!

I made myself a little something - actually more than a little serving of this sumptuous dish of halibut and king crab



No comments:

Post a Comment