Wednesday, July 31, 2019

not a boring steak



Steak can be quite boring. Tonight I had a moment of inspiration, from a small shallot onion sitting on the kitchen counter. I immediately thought of making a demi glaze sauce with some chopped shallot. Rather than using common Western herbs I used some finely slice scallions and Serrano pepper.


I then remember that I just bought a jar of extra small oysters. More ideas. I would lightly saute a few oysters with the shallot onion and the oyster will release some juice that would be full of umami. I then fished out the oysters least they overcooked.

Ever since I begun experimenting with the technique of pan frying steak and pork chop I have not bother with the time consuming open fire grilling. The best part of pan searing is you get to use the glazing so nothing goes to waste. Every flavor molecule saved is a flavor molecule added to the dish.

I pan fried a small piece of USDA Prime top sirloin steak to medium rare in some butter. I then deglazed the pan with just water and added it to the saute shallot onion and garlic which already have the oyster juice. Just reduced and seasoned with salt and the steak sauce is done. Poured it onto the steak and oysters that were already plated and served. I ground in some black pepper.


The demi glaze sauce was extremely rich packed with umami. The steak and the oysters were perfectly cooked. So good. This is a dish that I could imagine how it would taste as soon as the rough idea of the ingredients were conceived.

I did a quick tally of the cost of this dish. It came in at no more than $5 USD, thanks to the Costco steak and oysters. This dish took me 25 minutes to prepare. That are the economy of the dish.

I love this dish so much that I made another one the next day. This time I took a few more photos.

most of the ingredients



a mouth water dish

the steak was cooked just right

so are the four extra small oysters

No comments:

Post a Comment