Friday, January 31, 2020

one of world's best jazz stations


Because of this article I discovered this great jazz station that is in Newark, New Jersey.


Portland also has a dedicated jazz station KMHD. Unfortunately often the stuff they play are questionable and I have not been listening to it for years.

I happen to come upon this New York Times article "Behind the Racial Uproar at One of the World’s Best Jazz Stations". Because of it I discovered this great jazz station only a few days ago.


While my sampling of their programming so far has been quite limited, I like the music they choose as well as the hosts. While I am typing this, I am listening to a Friday night program "Jazz Night In America" hosted by Christian McBride. Yes, Christian McBride as a programming host.

I downloaded the station's app from iTune for the iPhone. I should mention too the sound quality is excellent, much better than the old FM analog broadcast. I write this post as this is too good to keep it for myself. I plan to support this great station. When at home, I use the iPhone app and stream to the hi fi audio system via Bluetooth. The streaming via airPlay is super easy and seamless.

while the airPlay says the STR-DN840 is a set of headphones, it is actually a Sony audio receiver I use for my home theater

If you live outside of United States I would like to know if you can listen to this station with the app or their website. Please leave me a comment.


friday night rarely gets better than this listening to a great program with a good slow cook meal

One interesting thing that I only just realize is the website's playing now schedule, which seems wrong until I realize Newark is 3 hours ahead of Portland. I need to make a mental note that the Friday night great programmes starts at circa 5 PM Pacific time.

No comments:

Post a Comment