Wednesday, June 9, 2021

brunnhilde's broken skylight

 

Last year while camping at the racetrack a freak storm came with violent wind. I immediately rushed into the bath to close the slightly open skylight. I was a second or two too late, Before I could unlatch the handle which requires raising the skylight slightly, the wind ripped the skylight right off. I reckon the peak windspeed was no less than 60 miles per hour. It came towards the rear of the camper which made the skylight very vulnerable.

the outer shell of the skylight was ripped off; i managed to find the inner layer

The entire skylight was ripped off. As the skylight is double pane I manage to fine the inner layer. However the outer layer is where the hinges. In order to prevent rain and snow and critters from coming into the camper I had to device a way to seal the opening. Soon I realize I could use the inner layer by jerry rigging something to secure it in place. I used a few cable ties and a length of wood molding to hold down the inner shell of the skylight until I could procure a replacement and replace it.

a few cable ties and a piece of wood molding forms the hold down of the inner shell of the broken skylight; the pizza box is to keep the harmful UV out of the bath

Brunnhilde lived with this for over 8 months including a 8000 miles cross country trip to Florida and back.   At the mean time I purchase a replacement from UK. Replacing the skylight should be quite straightforward task. However the RV external caulking was not something that I look forward to deal with, especially at that height. I do not have a level concrete surface to erect a ladder for the replacement.

It would be until yesterday that I realized I could try to replace only the necessary pieces but leave the existing external frame that is fastened and caulked to the motorhome roof alone. This would only work if the replacement skylight components are compatible with the old one. The new one I purchased has many updates as well as it being one that is for living area - meaning it has a pleated light shade.

it has a reflective foil surface on the outer side of the pleated shade


the inner side of the pleated shade


the new trim frame is more square than the old one

i am very happy it has a sun blocking and reflective shade




No comments:

Post a Comment