Thursday, June 1, 2023

still another mini split installation - part 1


I have long planned to install a mini split heat pump in the three-car garage. There is a full bath as well as the accumulators for the well water inside which rely on resistive electric heat to prevent the water from freezing in winter. I want to be able to use the garage as a closer workshop. It is a no-brainer decision, except finding time to install one. That time is now.I ordered the same 12,000 BTU LG single zone system as I did for the racetrack as I know very well it would be perfectly sized.

 

the marked up rectangle is where the indoor unit will be mounted as it is only location that makes sense and there is no other location that works

While there is a main breaker panel right behind the garage running the 240V power supply for in inside  would be very involving as well as unsightly. I decided to run it outside along the back wall with a 1/2" PVC conduit. As the main panel has many large diameter PVC conduits as well as the main feed for the  electric meter there are challenges to add this 1/2" conduit. But I have a elegant solution for it.

I cut this provisional conduit lower to make room for the 1/2" conduit to join the left side of the utility box

this utility box was install for the generator feed into the main panel; all I have to do is to feed a pair of 14 AWG wires sharing the same flexible conduit leading into the main panel

this is 30A generator feed from the utility box


as all the breaker spaces are used up I needed to free up two adjacent spots for the 240V 15A tandem breaker

by swapping two full size breaker with two half-size dual 20A breakers I freed up two adjacent spots

the new 240V 15A tandem breaker





this is how you round a 90 degree right angle hugging the corner







I made two offset bends with the heat gun

my workmanship is tidier than most professionals

update: I would realized the two hots are wired wrong in part 2 of this installation so no damage done


I decided putting the outdoor unit right under this window is the best location for neatness due to where the IDU would be located

next is for the ranch hand to do some masonry work

The LG mini split heat pump will arrive in a week. I have done the most difficult work so what are left should be relatively easy.



No comments:

Post a Comment