Friday, February 8, 2013

more home made thai meals - 2013 jan

Nearly 2 months after my trip to Thailand I still cannot have enough of a few dishes.
While I tried my hands on many of the dishes I had in Thailand, there are a few that I love and had made them many times. Practice make perfect.

Amongst the dishes I tied the two dishes that are my favorite are the hot and sour steamed fish and the basil pork. They are also the easiest to prepare.

this hot and sour steamed fish the result of my first attempt in a previous post
 this basil pork (the dish on the left side) was one of my earlier version in a previous post
I wanted a healthier version of the basil pork. To this I reduced the amount of meat and added bits of long beans. After about 3 tries I had the recipe dialed in. The result is one in this picture below. I kept the long bean not overcooked so it give a crunchy mouth feel. It has a hint of sweetness and is nutty.
there is only 5-6 oz of pork in this whole dish
I came across this very young Chinese choi sum 菜心 which is referred to as choi mu 菜苗 meaning shoots of the choi sum. I just stir fried it with garlic, oyster sauce 蠔油, and fish sauce 魚露. The vegetable being so young is very nutty. They tastes nothing like the older ones. It would be misleading to label this dish Thai as most Asian countries cook many leaf vegetables this way.
 you can really eat it with a bowl of fragrance jasmine rice
the iPhone provides the size reference on how small the choi sum is
 a healthy and delicious meal - I typically save half of the basil pork
this is my second attempt of this hot and sour steam grouper
like the previous one I made the grouper was live




No comments:

Post a Comment