Wednesday, May 1, 2013

blue cheese burgers - part 2

Practice make perfect, as the common saying goes. I often would remake a new dish that I like. Sometimes to gradually perfect it - in a stepwise refinement like in software development, and sometimes to use up the ingredients.

Recently I have been making, or should I say, remaking the blue cheese burger. It is just so delicious and I have gotten the process done the pad.
saute some yellow onion with salt and pepper and mix into the minced beef - note the salt is just to sweat the onion not to season the hamburger patties

 saute the mushroom again with salt and pepper
 this will be used to build the burger
 because the shape of the buns i use i shape the patties into a rectangle shape
 season with salt and pepper just before pan frying
once the first side is browned i flip it over and brown it for may be 30 seconds during which time i carefully sprinkle the blue cheese bits on top of the patty; then place a stainless plate to hold the heat in for melting the cheese
 here is one made with the Costco demi baguette
 inside
While I like the result of using the Costco demi baguette as the bun for the burger, it result in a very big hamburger. For the next batch I decided to try the sandwich bun also from Costco. It is smaller and not so dense. I was concern it may taste too sweet but fortunately they aren't.
all the ingredients for building the burger - the mayonnaise looks a bit sad because it was left over from the flaked crab with curry oil. The emulsion begins to separate but the taste is not much affected. I lightly toasted the bun halves.
bacon lines the bottom
 next the saute'ed mushroom
 then the burger patty with the blue cheese on top
i spread the mayonnaise on the top half of the bun and the gravity take care of it once it is flip over onto the rest
 top with the raw onion - i like the kick of the raw yellow onion
 a symphony of flavors - the beef is cooked just right
The lighter bun worked out very well. It is still a very hearty burger so you don't want to eat it every day if you care about your waist size.

It is meal time. I'm gonna make myself a burger...




No comments:

Post a Comment