Wednesday, May 1, 2013

leek soup


The first time I came across I knew immediately I would like it. I just knew that it would make a delectable soup with some cream and a good broth. Over the years I improvise my own versions. I started with versions that have quite a bit of cream and thicken with a roux.

Over time I have tried many variations and sometime skipping the cream altogether when I want a lighter tasting taste. Here is one version I recently made.

i bought a bundle with 2 large stalks of leek
Every recipe would tell you to only use the white part and discard the tough green parts. For me rules are meant to be broken sometimes and not always do as you are told. I like the texture the green part adds. I don't like my leek soup silky smooth so I don't puree it nor strain it with a sieve.
A lot of folks don't like cooking with leek mainly not knowing how to deal with the sand.  It is very easy. First rinse off any surface sand. Don't bother with the one inside the stalk.
start from the root end and bias slice them until you can see the first sign of sand between the layers
when I see the first sign of sand, i peel off the outer layer or two to expose more white part; i slice more of the white and set aside the layers i peel off for to be washed
 after washing the sandy green layers i slice them a bit thinner as they take longer to cook tender
i put them into another bowl so i can put them into the pot first

 this is how little i discard
 this is a pork bone broth i used
i let the leek cooked down - it took about 20 minutes in medium low heat; few bay leaves and a bit of fresh ground pepper is all you need
season with salt and add heavy whipping cream - i use may be 300ml only as i prefer a very light taste these days
As with any good soup a very good broth is most important. I always use home made broth.


No comments:

Post a Comment