Sunday, June 30, 2013

crawfish and clam etouffee


Recently I have been quite fed up with the dumbing down of the cooking shows on my local PBS affliliate station. I started watching BBC Food on Youtube. I was inspired by Floyd's American Pie on Youtube.


floyd's american pie episode

The next day I went grocery shopping. I stopped by my Asian fish monger to see what she has. There are these lively crawfish that are so enticing and they were like $2.50 a pound. I figured I would made a Cajun or creole dish but I didn't know what. I also bought some live sesame shrimps, razor clams and littleneck clams.

I am blessed living in Oregon. I can get some of these seafood that are so good in quality at very reasonable price. For a lot of live seafood that are seasonal as well as limited supply I cannot plan ahead. I just have to be flexible and ready to deal with (and often eat) them right away.

i bought a pound of these buggers
there is no better way to eat them - by doing more to them you can only compromise instead of improving
 one pound of shrimps is a lot
 i made a broth out of the shells and saved for cooking
 now getting to the cajun/creole dish
i actually took a trip to the supermarket to pick up some okra, onion, and bell peppers
bacon stands in for andouille sausage
building up the flavor with love
i improvised cajun spice mix




omg!

crawfish on the spoon


razor clam
littleneck clam


3rd meal - yum
meanwhile the plantain is ripping along nicely - you only want to cook them when they are black and blue

No comments:

Post a Comment