Saturday, August 3, 2013

odb scan tool for brunnhilde - part 2


I installed the new ODB scan gauge in Brunnhilde yesterday as soon as it arrived. I knew it will take some careful reading and understanding of how the tool derives the parameters to properly set it up. Last night I read through the entire 60 pages of the user manual. As I have mentioned in the previous post so far I found this product to be very well designed and executed. From the carefully written manual, the tasteful website design, truly informative FAQs, the Gauge Availability Estimator that actually works, to the frequent documented known issues of some make and models all add to my confidence in the competent design of this product.


how often do you see environmental specs for consumer products?
Many owner complained it is difficult to use the operation buttons located on the back. With the windshield mount I found this not being a challenge at all as the 3 buttons are logically located. For $69 I think the company has done an incredible job of making design tradeoffs to keep it in this price point without jeopardizing the important functions (e.g. the size and quality of the display, sufficient computing resources). It even boosts a true glass display surface with anti-reflective coating and ambient light sensor that adjusted the LED backlight to compensate for change in ambient light. According to the spec the display is temperature compensated.

From forum discussions many reported the suction cup fails to support the mount and the scan gauge. When I try to attach the suction cup to the windshield it initially does not adhere well if I just rely on the action of the cam lever. As I paid more attention to the design I first press the center of the base against the windshield glass to expel  as much air under the suction cup as possible before using the cam lever to lock it down. This process result in much less trapped air between the cup and the glass surface and a stronger adhesion.

the windshield suction cup so far is holding well and the mount affords a great location of the gauge (i have since lower the gauge closer to the top of the dash so there is virtually no obstruction to the full view)
the goose neck of the mount the gauge's distance from my eyes is nearly identical to the instrument cluster - this is great as it does not introduce another focus step for the eyes
As my right foot is in a splint I cannot take the vehicle for a spin to do some testing. I, however, can at least verify my initial setup and check out the functionality of some gauges.

The initial set up of the tool for the T1N Sprinter is relatively easy. The tool can auto-detect the bus protocol. Still I did my homework to be sure the auto-detect protocol and reported sensors are correct.

Here are a few pertinent observations:
  • the tool detected 9141 protocol and it is correct
  • the tool found no fuel level sensor reported by the ECM (i am disappointed MB does not make this available from the ECM; however I have no evidence even if the ECM have access to the fuel level sensor)
  • the tool auto-configured to use MAF (instead of MAP which for some reason got into my head but I think MAF is right)
  • make sure to set VE Enable to disabled (because of the turbo-charger)
  • enter the fuel tank capacity and peak torque of 244 (i set the peak torque RPM to 2400 for now)
I know it would be quite a lot of re-arrangement of the gauges in the display pages once I start using it and has gotten more familiar with it. There up to 7 display pages and my plan is to repeat the most crucial two for fuel economy on all pages at the same position. These are % engine load and boost pressure.

here is my page 1 for now - with transmission selector in P with engine idling (i think the ECM is in closed loop operation now)
page 1 with transmission selector in D with engine idling - note the increased in %Eng but MAI remain at ~15 g/s
page 2 gauges are default setup - with transmission selector in P with engine idling; note that for diesel the close loop indicator is disabled
 page 2 with transmission selector in D with engine idling - note the increase in HP and TRQ
 page 3 gauges are also default for now - these are short trip fuel economy performance parameters
 page 4 gauges are also default for now; UG volt is the battery voltage as seen by the gauge
back to page 1 - i just want to point out the O2 lambda of 2.000 is a bit strange as the nominal optimal is 1.000; 2:000 represents very lean mixture ratio; however I am not loosing any sleep over it until I see the values while driving; note also the fuel rail pressure is a bit lower now that the engine has idled awhile (less viscous diesel when warmed)

So far I am very impressed with this product and especially pleased with large and bright display which has generous amount of resolution (I am surprised there is no listing of the x and y pixels).

The user manual is extremely detail and well written. There is no hand waving or double-talk on how the calculation is done. If you take the time to read and understand it you will not be disappointed on what the product promise (and not over-promise) and deliver. 

Navigating the menu system is very easy as it is logically laid out and grouped. The interface is intuitive and consistent. The design allows a lot of flexibility on how you want to personalize the display pages. Yet it cost nearly half the cost of the direct competitor.

For me just able to monitor in real time the Sprinter's few critical drivetrain sensors is worth the price of admission. To use it for driving more fuel efficiently is the icing on the cake. Did I mention I like the understated industrial design over the fussy ID of the competitions?

No comments:

Post a Comment