Friday, April 11, 2014

GM ignition switch recall - and my key chains

I happen upon the news yesterday that GM is asking NASA to conduct an independent assessment on if the problem with the ignition key assembly in the affected vehicles can be used safely if a single key is used. Seems GM is trying to find a cheap way out on this ignition key switch problem. From the little bits on the news report what I infer is the switch is susceptible to unintended rotation from drivers that have excessive amount of weight on their key chain. The excessive weight and coupled with the design of the key chain can impart sufficient rotational moment overcoming the detent and cause the ignition switch to rotate out from the normal drive position.


I have seen people with key chains that is so bulky with more keys than you can shake a stick at. A lot of these key chain are made of metal that does not allow the bulk to swivel freely even when swivel joints are provided. I always like to keep what I carry light and simple, especially for comfort. I have been using a very simple and yet effective system for as long as I have been driving. It involves using simple metal loop rings and a piece of synthetic string. I always put the ignition key on the synthetic string. The synthetic string serves many functions:

1) it allows the ignition key to swivel freely from the rest of the key chain. The weight of the key chain would not cause a rotating moment on the ignition key.
2) i can feel my ignition key even in total pitch dark so pulling it out from my pocket to getting the vehicle on the way involve the least time.
3) it allow me to separate the ignition key from the rest of the key very quickly, should I need to give it to the gas station attention or auto service without having to give them the whole key chain.
4) i can put the key securely on my wrist when I go for a jog, or out in the water for watersports.  I have never lost a key with this method.
5) i like to keep my automobile keys pristine and free from wear. The string loop minimize the rest of the keys on chain rubbing against it.
many of my automobile keys on the synthetic string loop system
In the photo above the key chain on the lower left is the kind of key chain that can cause the unintended ignition switch rotation. I never carry this key chain with me. It is a set of keys I keep for home and the bulk of the assembly is intended to make it very hard to lose.

my VW key looped to the rest of key chain
it easily separates from the chain to give to the gasoline station attendant (aka petroleum transfer engineer)
my house key tethered to my wrist when I go for a walk or jog - i set the loop size such that it cannot fall out of my wrist but yet i can remove it in a second; i never wear it if i am in a situation that has a risk where the loop may be cause up by machinery
my Mini's car key - the other keys are chained together in the nylon string and can be detach from the Mini's key
brunnhilde's key - this is a slight variation because the ignition switch in brunnhilde is very close to my kneecap and i like to detach everything from the ignition key when i go for a long drive

My system of key is very comfortable to carry in the pocket. It is very minimalist since there is nothing that does not serve a functional role.

One other thing that I do with my key management system is group them by function. I never have more than one vehicle's key on a key chain. Yet all my vehicle key chains have my house key and everything I need for that vehicle.

With so much at stake, I doubt that GM legal department will ever advise the affected owners to use this system. They will pursue the much more conservative (and yet most impractical) workaround of a single key and nothing else, if NASA give them a green light. Good for GM to recognize it has zero credibility. Sad to see their legal and management have to resort to using NASA to give an independent assessment. Like the saying goes, it ain't rocket science... Sad.


No comments:

Post a Comment