Friday, May 9, 2014

gumbo in portland


I didn't plan to make gumbo. This all happened spontaneously when I was down to only 6 oyster in shell in the refrigerator with nothing else left to make a full meal. I originally plan to make BBQ oyster (NOLA style that should be called grilled oyster) with them. I remember I still have some okras that are on the way out in the refrigerator. Gumbo - the light bulb in my mind lit up.

I had never made gumbo before. I had never tasted gumbo until my recent month-long road trip to Louisiana. However I have always been extremely intrigued about this American dish and have read up and watched cooking shows that I can imagine how it must taste. When I first tried a bowl of good gumbo in NOLA it is exactly what I imagined. I know it sound incredible for someone to make such fantastic claim. If you have done a lot of culinary explorations as well as getting your hands dirty (so to speak) in the kitchen you really can be very accurate on imagining how a dish may taste based on some knowledge on how it is prepared.

It was pushing 7pm and I just want to whip up a quick gumbo so I took the liberty of artistic license in altering the preparation I deem fit so I don't have to wait a few hours. I skipped making a dark roux that give a good bowl of gumbo the dark chocolate hue and nutty taste. I roughly based mine on the recipe of the excellent NOLA food blog nolacuisine. Everything in this meal is made from scratch. As always I never follow a recipe but instead, just the rough idea but always keep the key essences.

i pulled out a few frozen wild shrimps and my homemade andouille and tasso

the holy trinity with okras added and flour added at the end - adding the flour (like some grandmother would) is the genius step which skip preparing a dark roux to simplify the preparation
 freshly shucked oysters
because there is no tough meat involved the relative "green" gumbo is full of favor - after stanching my hunger i continue to let the gumbo simmer for another hour or two so the flavors would be more developed
a couple more picture of bowls of gumbo leftover for breakfast the next day





No comments:

Post a Comment