Friday, May 9, 2014

i'd join the fray

on the biggest and most dubious rumor of recent time about anything Apple. FT reported that Apple is poised to acquire Beats for 3.2 billion. It make no sense to me. Apple has been very astute in it's acquisitions, unlike it's high flying tech/internet peers who has been praised by the evil Wall Street financial anal-ysts for their shopping sprees in the name of diversification and expansion.


I see no reason Apple should squander this kind of hard-earned money unless Beats has a special relationship (deal)  with the music industry that Apple does not have and is transferable. Much ink has been spilled by the self-professed tech pundits and financial anal-ysts and my bet is with John Gruber at the daringfireball. Apple do not need Beat for their audio hardware. It is also dubious the Beats has special relationship with the music industry that Apple cannot obtain to warrant for 3.2 billion. I do believe that we are near the height of another Internet bubble with so many companies that are so overtly valuated over their speculated fundamentals.

Prove me wrong about this rumored Apple acquisition. Financial Times is generally well regarded but I am skeptical on this.  I have eaten the humble pie before.

Update May 13:
Looks like I am going to eat the humble pie on this one. I have read a few insightful articles by the best of mobile tech writers and I had no idea both Steve Jobs and Tim Cook know the founders and management team of beat. Without enumerating them all here is one of the most comprehensive and insightful analysis. If you want more there is a companion podcast.

Update May 28:

So it is official. Apple indeed has acquired Beat. I ate my humble pie. I am wondering how Tim is going to keep the lid on the potential publicity disaster when one of the Beat casts make offensive remarks in public. The usual "the opinions expressed by Dre or lovine are their own, and do not necessarily reflect that of the company"  disclaimer ain't gonna to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment