Friday, June 13, 2014

bend it like niemeyer

With the World Cup in full swing now in Brazil, it is only fitting to write an article on Brazil's most celebrated modernist architect.

I normally hate to link to other sites because with the web in constant flux you just never know how long before the linked content disappears, or just having your link broken. Also with most major news media, even in this day and age of cheap cloud storage they still cannot forget their depression era habit of posting postage size photo - one and only one most of the time.


This article on The Gaurdian on Oscar Niemeyer's architecture is a breath of fresh air for online newspaper. It has 10 decent size photos of the architect's work.


Very often people criticize his work being impractical and unlivable. People forget the time of these ground breaking work were done. Yet most go gaga over Frank Gehry's hugely high budget work such as the Walt Disney Concert Hall. For me I will take any of Niemeyer's work over Gehry's I-do-it-because-I-can.

For more articles on great photography of Niemeyer's breath taking work please visit dezeen and search on niemeyer at the site.


*all images posted linked to respective articles I mentioned and provided links to

While I am at it with my pet pee rant, I have to mention the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation is most egregious with their overzealous withholding of photography of America's most seminal architect. My only uninformed guess is the "foundation" don't want to benefit the "free-loaders" that cannot trouble (or afford) themselves to make a paid visit to the facilities now owned by the organization. In my visit to the Taliesin West I was appalled at how poorly maintained the structures and interior were. It is no surprise that I've always maintain a healthy dose of skepticism on "non-profit" organizations, especially the largest ones that paid the top managing staff handsomely. Just look at the recent Haiti Earthquake relief efforts by the so-called "non-profit" NGOs. These top level staff of these big NGOs don't give a fuck about the victims but your generous donations to benefit themselves... Oh, last and not least is long standing history of Fifa power that bes' corruptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment