Sunday, June 8, 2014

pining for a vacuum bag machine


Over the years I have pondered buying a vacuum bag machine to protect food in the freezer. I have resisted adding another small kitchen appliance that may turn out more trouble than it's worth. I have come close to buying the FoodSaver brand at Costco countless number of times each time I saw it on sale. However I know all too well the problems with buying consumer grade specialty machines like this. I had estimated the payoff versus the cost before the inevitable demise of a "toy" machine. In the end I had always decided against the temptation.


Now I have invested in a decent offset smoker as well a freezer, doing big batches of smoked sausage and fish make me start thinking investing in a decent vacuum machine again. Rather than buying one amongst the usual suspect consumer brands, I am leaning more towards a semi-commercial one. I suspect the semi-commercial ones are more serviceable because it is more likely built with off-the-shelf parts. I also expect the two key elements to be of more substantial construction - the vacuum pump and the sealing heating element. Also, I want a machine that uses generic bags instead of the one the manufacturer want you to buy.

Doing a bit of research on Amazon, this Weston seems to fit the bill. Yes, it costs $390 vs the FoodSaver that can be have for circa $130 when on sale. It is 3x the cost and does not come with any bonus bags.


found this youtube video showing this machine in operation - i am pretty impress how fast the vacuuming (evacuating the air)

I am glad I watched this video. Not all bags are created equal. The ones he uses has a matted finish on the inside. The inside texture is to promote the air leaving the bag under suction.

I am pretty sold on this machine after seeing the video. I always like to buy the best tool that I can afford so I think I will pretend to amortize the cost over my remaining natural life to justify it. My friend teased me that I own all tools known to men. Sometimes you have to spend money to save money. Being a self professed foodie, I am quite willing to splurge when it comes to cookware.

Everything is relative. I consider the Foodsaver vacuum bag machines toys. Compared to this commercial machine the Weston 2300 looks like a toy.
now this is a vacuum bag machine


No comments:

Post a Comment