Sunday, November 9, 2014

this and that - oregon oct 2014, part 2


October usually is the bitter end of the windsurfing season here in Oregon. It is the transition of wind direction in the Columbia River Gorge. The prevailing wind switches from Westerly to Easterly in the months of October and November. From November to about March East wind predominates.

East wind typically is not good sailing as West wind for windsurfing and kiteboarding as the wind is in the same direction of the river current. This means one have to constantly fighting the current and wind to stay one's ground.

I went to an Apple store to see if I can get a 64GB iPhone 6s. I was not hopeful but I just wanted to kill some time to see the traffic there. I left the store with an Apple TV thinking that I might return it if it fails to meet my expectations. My main motivation of the purchase is to ease the painful process of watching PBS, Deutsche Welle, NHK, and Youtube on TV. I had tried many time to find answer to my questions with the Apple store staff and each time I found the staff are typically ignorant to answer my questions. The only way to find out is to bring one home and find out myself.




this is the bottom side and it looks nice

i am very impressed with how well airplay works - either with my iPhone 5s or my iPad 3
My new 60" LG TV has very good built in Netflix player and even Youtube. For Youtube the best way is to set up Youtube for TV and use your smartphone or tablet to do the navigation. However for PBS, DW, and NHK the only way to play them is using the TV's built-in browser. The browser is very poorly designed and with the TV remote control it is more than painful. I tried adding a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and even with them the experience stills suck big time, not to mention the bugs associate with the bad web browser. For these streaming sources alone, the $99 Apple TV investment is worth every penny even though I am fully expecting Apple to refresh it comes 2015.

This year I made the point to get as much fresh wild salmons from Indians as possible. In all I must have bought 12 salmons. I smoked most of them and begun to freeze the fillets after sealing them in vacuum bags.
I also been cooking them a lot and created many variations of impromptu recipes.
this pan seared version served with napa cabbage
this one is simmered with napa cabbage together without pan frying or searing

this is the first time I made a chicken dish for months - this is inspired by chicken marsala; i used no fat or oil except the chicken's own fat render out from the skin




breakfast with smoked salmon and simple omelet; i like to make this simple omelet in my copper french omelet pan with butter with a fork; the pan is lined with stainless steel and if you control the heat just right the resulting omelet is fluffy and has a texture that you can never get with non-stick pans





the chicken marsala give me many meals


smoked salmon, omelet, accented with bits of tennessee country ham

the salmons i purchased got bigger and bigger as i tested the capacity limit of brunnhilde's chest refrigerator
these are one of many batches of fresh fillet i store away in the freezer for the winter

sometimes my poor fillet skill left some meat on the bone so I salvage the meat and make salmon burger; here with a bit of tennessee country ham



only years ago i was afraid to cook with butter; now i cook with it a lot but in moderation; i no longer see US's health authorities as credible in their health eating advises; their years of advise against eating eggs is one of countless FUD ill advises

after tasting this i can never eat store bought salmon burger patty again




try to repair the failed center channel of the receiver
i made some salmon caviar; the hardest step is to carefully separate the roes from the membrane they tenaciously cling to without breaking them





smoked and fresh salmon - diversity is the spice of life

here i am in the indian's fishing reservation

this is the biggest salmon that fit into brunnhilde's chest refrigerator - unbelievable
i was tired and so a sloppy job
these are the herb/spices i use for hong kong style braised beef for soup noodle; i figured these out by taste and trail and error

why not add some fuji apple bits?




No comments:

Post a Comment