Wednesday, December 17, 2014

pining for boudin


I had boudin for the first time in my road trip to the great state of Louisiana last winter. Before that I had no idea how they taste. Rice in sausage seemed so strange, why would anyone do that, I thought. Immediately cross the state line, I pulled off the highway into a greasy spoon for breakfast. I curbed my expectation as it was a all you can eat buffet. They have one kind of boudin amongst other mostly pork dishes. The boudin was dull with not a whole lot of taste. I would have to wait until I get to the real Creole and Cajun restaurants much later to taste the real boudin.

i visited a small plantation with this kitchen house - it was very common in the days there due to very hot and humid summer; such a smart idea!
the fire place where a lot of meals were prepared - i was getting hungry just imagining the wonderful cajun or creole dishes that were prepared in the kitchen


My first best boudin experience was at Bourgeois Meat Market in Thibodaux, Louisiana.

one of my best experience with excellent boudin was at Bourgeois Meat Market


the unassuming order counter inside Bourgeois 
i cannot say enough good thing about this place and their products - you can order some online at their website



my next great boudin was at Donald Link's Butcher
this said it all about the place


these are as beautiful as art




Now back home nearly a year later, I am pining for boudin and the fond memory of Louisiana. I am getting ready to give making boudin a try. One thing that I regret of not doing was visiting a Cajun rice farmer and bring a big sack of minimally processed long grain brown rice back. Fortunately I just found out I can order online from Cajungrain.

NOLA Cuisine has an excellent recipe and that would be one that I would follow first.