Thursday, December 18, 2014

salmon with ocean sauce - 三文魚和海洋汁

Wanting to have a change of dish for dinner, I took out one of the salmon fillets that I cleaned and vacuum-bagged in late summer. Still with some shellfish ingredients I decided to make my version of a fish with ocean sauce I had while in New Orleans this early spring.


founder fillet with ocean sauce i had at Adolfo's - Adolfo as the tenor in la bohème


Ingredients:
  • chinook salmon fillet
  • cuttle fish slices (about 1 oz)
  • thinly sliced shiitake mushroom, ginger, big head vegetable, yellow onion
  • manila clams and juice
  • crab meat and crab tamale 
  • flour and water (used as roux)
  • chopped scallion
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • parmesan cheese
  • whipping cream
  • butter
I would use some American wild shrimps but they are very expensive lately and good quality ones are not very often seen lately.



I first poached the salmon fillet under very low heat in the clam juice. The clams have been boiled in very little water under low heat until they open beforehand. The piece of salmon fillet has a very think side and a very thin side making judging the doneness quite tricky. My newly acquired Thermapen shines for the task because of the extremely fast respond time and low thermal mass. I inserted the tip into the mid point of the thick side of the fillet and found the temperature was only around 100F. The outside appearance would suggest it is well cooked. Another few minutes of poaching and it is just perfectly done.

i bought two because of the special promotion - one will be for brunnhilde as x'mas present
I saute the onion, ginger, big head vegetable, then add the cuttlefish but taking care not to overcook them. I actually remove them from the pan. Then in goes the clam/salmon liquid and crab tamale and reduce. I then add the crab meat, clam meat, cuttlefish, whipping cream, and cheese. I stir in the flour and water mixture to thicken the sauce. I plate the fillet and pour the sauce on top, followed with a sprinkle of chopped scallion (very Cajun and Creole).