Friday, May 1, 2015

in good shape - brunnhilde part 5


This is a post of the series on the project to refresh Brunnhilde's plastic bumper fascia and the skirt paint finish.

I signed up with HBO Now the day it became available on Apple TV. I have been waiting for this day a long time. I am a cord never. For $14.99 a month, HBO Now is a no brainer. Now I have Netflix streaming and HBO Now as paid TV. I just drop my Netflix DVD (with Blu Ray disc) because I have more than I have time to watch. No commercial, and everything is VOD (video on demand).

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
instead of buying the expensive painting prep chemical the auto paint industry want me to, i used industrial strength kitchen degreaser on the plastic bumper fascia
 patching up the rivet holes by doing a bit of plastic welding
 i snipped a small piece of donor material

this SEM plastic bumper repair compound is $17; and i am sure it is just epoxy resin with fillers to make it sandable and flexible
i return the SEM and bought this plastic bumper repair compound by Bondo - 3M that is less than half the price of the SEM brand; it is just epoxy with some filler to make it sandable, as i alleged in the previous post

looks like epoxy, smells like epoxy, and works like epoxy is definitely epoxy
 my soup noodle meal
i put the chard at the bottom of the bowl to prop up the noodles so they don't get soggy

 another meal of delicious soup noodle - a faux ramen



 i also repair this melted spot from a piece of welding done before my ownership

this Vanagon bumper and lower skirt was recently painted - with off the shelf spray bombs; the sheen and splotchy appearance are dead giveaways

this Pleasure Way Sprinter motorhome has painted bumper fasia; seeing it help me avoid the color in my selection as well as seeing how a high sheen finish would look out of place

i am still eating my home made smoked salmon from last autumn



abrasion damage from the mud flaps
the damage is only limited to the painted surface and what looks to be a plastic chaffing patch from the factory

 bondo fixes just about anything cosmetic
i didn't try to kill myself to get the surface to be very smooth by feathering the transition; normally you will need to use autobody glazing putty but it is pointless because of the mud flap patches already has a significant contour, as well as the texture clear coat i plan to apply
while it is hidden behind the right rear bumper cap (from previous ownership), i decided to fix this superficial dent
i pulled it out the best i can and reinforce the weaken sheet metal with generous fiberglass; i was wise to avoid sheeting welding as there is plastic and rubber nearby

freshly grated cheese - i cannot tell you how long i have the bondo files

a coat of primer and followed with the top coat make me sleep better

today i started doing the masking in preparation for the d-day

there is a lot of masking and it took me a good part of the day




 amazing what you find cleaning the pantry
forgotten cold cash of a few hundred dollars that i didn't know i have

 still more noodles
 pulling a straight line of the masking tape to match the old painted boundary is most difficult
 all set for the d-day


No comments:

Post a Comment