Sunday, May 31, 2015

that and that - oregon may 2015, part 3



Today is a blue sky sunny day here in Portland. Not my favorite kind of weather. I know it just sound so strange. I prefer overcast and cool days. Give me mid sixties (mid to high teens for those living in the metric world - that means just about everywhere out side the US of A) with a bit of breeze and I am happy as a clam. When the day gets hot, I go shopping.



my fresh pot of Chiuchow style braised beef flank cut

when i don't want to spend much time cooking - soup noodles are my choice meal and i can spin it thousands of ways; this one is braised Chiuchow style beef with live clams


this year i learnt that robins don't reuse old nest - this one increased the population by 3 and it is impressive when you study the construction closely; which one of you have built your own home?

i wrote about my concern of my robin family in my previous post; well today the dead beat male is at the nest and seems to be sharing his domestic duty

just want to share my observation of audio receiver design - the higher the price point the uglier the design, and more laden the frivolous features; this Yamaha is way more expensive than the Sony I bought not too long ago

Costco decided to sell up; the refresh model is $100 more than the one I bought few months ago; i like the Sony better for a more restrained styling; one major pet pee of mine is why are all audio equipment have to be black in this country when silver and light gold faceplates give more legible legends

it is amazing how much refrigerator you get for around $100 when they are AC; switch the compressor to 12Vdc and the price just by 4x - mostly due to economy of scale though 12Vdc fridge has a bit more electronics

still keeping an eye out for batteries that is suitable for Isolde's battery system design - both of these deep cycle batteries are amazingly cheap if i can make it work

just noting the arrangement of the terminals

Wal Mart has been so dire straited of late, and their dropping the ball on flip flops that I would buy is one indication; i normally pass on anything with a name brand attached; these Open Ocean is less crap than the $0.99 one adjacent but finding good flip flops is harder than you think

i drove to H-mart hoping to find another Mini Ninja Korean butane stove for Isolde; she is jealous because Brunnhilde has one

it is like I am teletransported to S Korea


i recently bought a Korean laundry rack that is better looking than these; i wonder why i waited so long; every Korean household has one

colander with a tray that catch the dripping water - how sensible but the colander is too coarse

i was delighted to see this butane stove that is like the Mini Ninja that I bought though i knew immediately this is made in China due to the lessor quality

every aspect is just inferior and the cheap price is not enough to sway me

this is the Mini Ninja - the most notable is the better and more appropriately sized buner - note the nicely organized inners gas orifices

this is one cookware that stands out in design




after looking at it closely i decided against purchasing

i came home to check on the robin nest that i was worrying and to my delight - two chicks out of the three eggs have hatched today; seeing the parents are away i took this photo

a few minutes later the male robin came guarding the babies

more soup noodles - i can typically prepare this in less than 10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment