Wednesday, November 18, 2015

new air conditioner for brunnhilde - part 12

With the air conditioner conversion out of the way, it is time to tidy up.



To remove the defunct big 12Vdc cables I had to disassemble the waste water drain pipes from the bathroom sink and the shower pan. As all the other joints in the ABS drain plumbing through out, they were improperly made and rely on plumbing putty to seal the leak. I have gone over and corrected those inside the kitchen and the bath cabinet.


What remain are the joints under the bathroom. I took the opportunity to correct them by replacing the flat gaskets with flange washer. Four are needed here and I could only find three at home.

dropped by Home Depot during my grocery shopping trip and came home with these new and improved soft flange washers

Reassembling the drain plumbing under the bathroom was not too hard. It just take some patience to align the fittings well and hand-tighten them as far as you can before cinching them sparingly with a plumber's wrench (channellock).

The next tidying project is to permanently mount the Suburban DSI water heater control panel, which was waiting for the space that would be freed up from the removal of the Onan generator's control panel. Upon further deliberation, I realized I can better utilize the real estate by putting it at where the DC and antenna outlet. The larger opening of the Onan control panel can then be devoted to a dual DC outlets, and a rocker switch.


I actually rather like this temporary mount of the DSI waterheater control panel

I wanted to add an LED to the Suburban control panel to indicate it is switched on. While the panel has an indicator, it only illuminates before ignition, or ignition failed.

can use some monkey brainstorming for an elegant LED indicator design

I drilled a small hole and added a small LED. It took me two tries as the first LED was damaged from excess soldering heat.

I think this is as elegant as I can make it with parts from home - no monkeying around here

next I cut a duplex blank cover to support it - i like the appearance of this rigid type but they can only be cut or drilled carefully with abrasive cutters

I selected a current limit resistor such that the LED would not be bothersome in pitch darkness, but clearly visible in daylight.

sorry, no more cable TV for you - I am happy to be a cord-cutter

I kept the cooling fan for the Kerstner's DC power supplies; it would be used to draw (I think I need to reverse the fan) cooler air from under the vehicle into the "cellar"; it would be control by a rocket switch
I am hoping the space inside the water heater compartment may be large enough to fit my set of snow chain.

this is the power panel I fabricated to be mounted at the space now vacated by the Onan generator's control panel; the rocket switch is for the "cellar" ventilation fan; this took two manhours; this is why I would never want to carry out a roll-your-own custom camper project

I proceeded to order the parts for the spare tire carrier from an online supplier






No comments:

Post a Comment