Sunday, November 15, 2015

new air conditioner for brunnhilde - part 10



We were expecting a very stormy day with big downpours yesterday. The wind did happen but we were spared form the downpours. No rain at all all day, and I took the opportunity to finish the electrical work for the air conditioner.

The 120Vac power feed for the new air conditioner utilizes the existing one for the Kerstner AC. This includes the circuit breaker, and the 12/3 flexible power cable for the two 50A gamged switch mode DC power supplies. Initially I was going to route the 120Vac power feed to the Mach 8 Cub via the route of the 12Vdc cables took on the driver side. With a lot of thinking - through all the considerations, I decided to route it through the closet at the passenger side make more sense.

A juction box is necessary for connecting the power feed utilizing the original 12/3 cable that ends in the water heater compartment. This also allow the maintaning the functionality of the 120Vac duplex outlets on the access door there (no doubt an Airstream's "thoughtful upfit").


I wanted to save as much space in the compartment as possible - I managed to squeeze in the connections of three 12/3 cables into this small duplex electrical box. The connections are made with a 3 position screw type bakelite connector strip as in the above photo. I turned he duplex box into a junction box. All the wires inside have crimped lugs that securely connect to the bakelite terminal strip.

I locate the junction box so that I can reuse the hole for the factory cable tie strain relief for the 120Vac harness for the duplex outlet. Because of the mounting screws of the metal box locates right below the side of the terminal strip, I had to make one final wire connection with the aid of a mirror. My tenacious effort to save every cubic centimeter is like Westfalia's design spirit.

it turns out this is the only logical location for the junction box because of the existing constrains and to maximize the storage space of the compartment; I should also mention that this stamped steel duplex electrical box is one of the beautiful and yet functional products for a mere $0.98 each


With the kitchen top cabinet out I took the opportunity to clean up the power feed to the cassette toilet pump. I also enhance the switch control of the kitchen task light that I made from an Ikea LED fixture.

the kitchen top cabinet is reinstalled; I decided to keep the condensate drain hose in case I decide to use it in the future
this is one of the two cable harness that I fabricated to allow the overhead cabinet to be removed in a serviceable manner consistent with Westfalia's design

conducting functional test of the air conditioning before tidying up the harnesses

All the electrical wiring preparation for the Mach 8 Cub air conditioner is now done. It is a long process to finally able to experience the new air conditioner operating in-situ. One can only imagine and project the sound level (inside and outside), vibration, cooling, and air flow velocities. Able to perform the functional test before I finalize the design of the plenum is very important for an optimized design while keeping the weight down, and the implementation as simple as possible.


the AC's condensate leak before my ownership cause the corner joints to separate; I took the opportunity to repair them; the separation is normally not visible but I want to keep Brunnhilde shipshape
By the way. Have you ever notice the stagger slots of the vent grill design Westfalia use? I took notice recently in the DC refrigerator conversion for Isolde. There are a few benefits that more than what meets the uninitiated eyes. The stagger pattern grill has 50% openings per unit area. There is a very good reason for the staggered arrangement for the stamped cutout slots. This technique avoid the common uneven distortion of the piece of sheet metal. This is one of thousands of attention to details that make it impossible for me to own campers/RVs from any other companies.

 what do you use for jointing 2 pieces of plywood? wood glue

these two pieces of (circa 7/16") plywood partitions that are defunct from the cassette toilet conversion will finally serve their useful purpose - for the fabrication of a air plenum structure for the new air conditioner

2015.11.16 Update:

there is no second chance - so measure twice and cut once rule applies
limited by the dimensions of the plywood and to minimize unneeded extra cost, it was a stepwise design and fabrication



i was able to implement a dado joint to save a piece of aluminum angle brace

Because I corrected the delamination between the inner and the outer fiberglass shell, fitting the overhead cabinet requires a bit of coaxing pushing up very hard on the passenger side to reach the existing mounting screw hole. I could not pushing it with all my might and install the screw at the same time. What to do, except to ask for another set of hands?

Seeing the plywood mounted ledge on the passenger side I figure I can cut a temporary cripple slightly longer and jimmy it between the plywood and the overhead cabinet. 16 1/4" it is. That did the trick and the most critical screw is in.
It was getting late but I managed to finish the electrical harness routing and the connections to the Kerstner AC control panel. I verify the AC operation before wrapping up for the night.







No comments:

Post a Comment