Friday, March 18, 2016

in good shape, isolde - part 6


This resumes from a previous post in good shape, isolde - part  5. Patience pays is the password of this post of continuous enhancements. There is some progress in the quest for a perfect cup holder for Isolde. In my search for a cup holder, I started taking a programmatic approach on the mounting system. As I gave more thought to additional mounting needs in Isolde's cockpit (or wheelhouse if you prefer the nautical reference) the tool bar idea becomes very appealing.

the off the shelf RAM cup holder



I have invested in RAM mount products since 2012, from the first RAM product I purchased. Seeing even the smallest detail of their designs I have no reservation in building up a collection of their components. They are by far the most systems approach to accessory mounting for not just automobiles, but countless applications, from sea, to land, to air.

In an earlier post I came across this kayak accessory mount but felt it would project out too far using this RAM ball base. Eventually I overcame this with adapting this single ball base that I just received.


the first to arrive is this short mounting arm - with only one ball joint; note the thin cross at the bottom of plastic diamond base; it is there to strengthen the molded part but yet allow the reduction of plastic used

What stands out with this single ball mounting arm is, as always, more there than what meets the eyes. It is deceptively simple. The plastic diamond base which the arm grabs onto is hexagonal as opposed to round. It is very clever design. Since the rubber coated ball joint has very high coefficient of friction the weak end of the arm is where it grabs onto the diamond base if it is round and allow the arm to spin 360-degrees about it. Making it hexagonal solves the problem but still afford 6 possible engagements each at 45 degrees apart.

closeup of the hexagonal collar where the arm grabs onto

Before I am committed to the kayak accessory aluminum track, I want to build a quick mockup to test for the feel, sturdiness, and articulations of the mounted devices with this system. I have a piece of leftover Ikea kitchen cabinet wall hanging track and it is perfect for this mockup.

sailboarding sports have been using t-nuts for decades - the stainless steel and brass nuts here

Ikea wall hanging steel rail


the Ikea track is a bit wide for these 1/2" t-nuts but nonetheless they are secure enough



I chose a spot close enough to the vice jaw so the track doesn't flex too much as once the track is mounted with fasteners

the hand knob may be oriented in 6 angles


a quick ramen with razor claim and baby Chinese choy sum

A few days later the rest of the RAM parts arrived via Amazon sub-Prime free shipping (it took 9 days! when one $12.99 RAM part I ordered with another vendor took just 3 days with free shipping and similar discount).  I quickly put the cup holder to the test. As always RAM's designer thought of everything. The cup bucket has a slot to accommodate any mugs! It also comes with a rubberized foam jacket for keeping cold drinks cold, and the diameter of the bucket accommodate both perfectly.

three different mugs all fit in nicely



the ball joint allow the cup holder to be stowed like this or one can simply remove it

If I am pinching pennies, I can just use the Ikea steel rail but it will look out of place in Isolde. So I need to invest another ~$40 for a nice looking aluminum rail.

this is the off-the-shelf RAM cup holder that I started with - but didn't settle on


One of my wanting to go with the tool bar approach is I can use it to mount any devices without having to drill new holes. For example, I want to install an engine oil pressure gauge and dislike having to drill holes on the dash to mount it.

also arrived is the form-fit cradle for the iPhone 6S Plus

To illustrate how economic RAM mount upgrade really is once you invest in the system. With each iPhone model update, I buy just the one-piece form-fit cradle for under $10 shipped. The entire system is reused. For me a bullet-proof mount is paramount when it comes to holding the smartphone or tablet securely while I drive. It is really easy to adjust the location and orientation of the device to a sweet spot with the least of fuss. For these RAM is the only game in town.

it is a snag fit for the ever slightly increase in thickness, width, and height of the 6S Plus over the 6 Plus; I can tell RAM did not update the cradle plastic injection mold by the tightness of the cradle where it cups the two bottom corners of the phone


i put the iPhone on the rail only to illustrate the versatility of the tool bar system approach

As to the aluminum accessory rail, the one made by YakAttack are the best. They have two versions and I am planning with a 16 inches long one. Of course, extruded aluminum tracks for t-nut is nothing new. It has been used by woodworkers and hobbyists for decades - Search for "aluminum t track for t-nut".

only if these are black or silver as they are very reasonably priced but they are also too narrow for surface mount where torque is a concern

this generation II is wider and stronger - but the width of the steel dash front in Isolde cannot accommodate it

YakAttack does not provide dimensions though judging from the relative scale, I infer this is about 1 3/4" wide

this generation I does not have the side flanges; it also has slightly higher aspect ratio due to the design that allow you to put in the t-nuts not having to slide in from the end


I think this track is abut 1 1/4" wide - just about the wide of the exposed steel portion of the Vanagon dash front
At this point I am leaning towards the narrower generation I mounting rail from YakAttack in 16" length.

I drove by West Marine yesterday and decide to stop in to do some browsing. They have this much bigger accessory mounting rail (almost roof rack dimension), more suitable for carrying bigger devices.


No comments:

Post a Comment