Friday, May 6, 2016

compressor bit the dust - part 2



The problem with finding a replacement for this failed pressure switch is its unique design in which it has small plastic air nipple which it bolts up directly to the small air port of the gauge manifold. As this switch is long ceased to be in production substituting any other pressure switch, I must find a mean to plug up this port. This port sees the tank pressure which can be as high as about 125 PSI.

the new pressure switch arrived


the arrow shows the air nipple mates to the small port on the manifold

On the day the switch first failed, I could hear something broke inside the switch that is distinctly a spring like object dislodged and flew away. The result is the toggle switch stuck in the On position. I knew there is no point trying to repair the switch. However I want to see the design of this switch.

 it is most unusual design - a sort of like a breaker switch

there are tiniest rubber parts acting as valves as well as a small rubber diaphram

here is the broken plastic switch toggle; it is so undersized for the job that it is a defective design

I want to recover this plastic piece and fill the air passage of the nipple with epoxy to dam it

the vicious Epoxy resin fills the L-shape tunnel


The new pressure switch arrived, and I was able to fit it onto a spare 1/4" NPT port by turning the manifold at this angle. I did have to temporarily remove the copper tube to make room for screwing in the new switch through a 1.5" short brass nipple. I made sure the overpressure release valve as well as other important bits are not hindered.

the spiced wires in the photo is from my need to use the compressor before the replacement pressure switch arrives; I hot wired the motor to the power cord and manual shut off the compressor before it reaches the pressure to trigger the over-pressure safety relief - don't do this at home unless you are one that take personal responsibility instead of suing someone else for your own risk taking

this is the only orientation that the new switch could be screwed in

making the wiring connections were very easy to achieve a safe and tidy appearance

this is a photo with the original pressure switch

The new pressure switch is much more robust and just works. One can adjust the cut in and cut out pressures. It is amazing how much I depend on the air compressor so needless to say I am happy it is now whole again. The total cost of the repair consists of $14.69 for the switch, plus a 1/4" brass nipple for $2.69 come to $17.38.

I score an open box saving $2


compared to this complete replacement assembly for $63.80

It is high time I buy a clamp meter. I am amazed how inexpensive ones out there that has Hall sensor that can measure DC current. I looked through a number of different one on Amazon and decided on this one. It exceeds my expectation for it cost just $35 (I scored an open box deal). As always, clamp type current meter requires taking the measurement with some care.

the only nuisance is it defaults to AC each time you switch range

I am surprised to see how close this DC current measurement is


here I monitor the current consumption by the Alpine head unit in which the current fluctuates with the volume and music; the sampling rate is very fast

I should mention too that the voltage measurement of  120Vac with this meter come very close to the Fluke RMS meter that I have. At 120V they are within a fraction of a volt so that is a good check of the RMS claim of this compact meter. The probes have generous length and the quality is very good. It also comes with a soft storage case.
still more oven roasted chicken


1 comment:

  1. Thank you! This write up was very helpful. I have almost the exact same compressor and the little plastic off switch tab broke in the same spot. I just ordered the same Lefoo replacement switch from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete