Monday, May 23, 2016

isolde engine coolant warning


Recently I took Isolde out during an early hot day. The ambient temperature was about 88F which is unseasonably hot for May. In my return trip home, the red LED in the coolant gauge began to blink. I thought to myself this is not good. I was crossing a long bridge at the time and I had yet to gather my faculty as what the LED indicator is for. I initially thought it is the engine oil warning light.

Since I could not stop on the bridge I immediately just let the engine RPM drop to as low as possible and try to make it to the off ramp at the end of the bridge, hoping not causing any damage. I pulled off to the side of the road at the earliest safe spot as soon as I could and shut off the engine immediately. Once I had a chance to gather my senses, I realize it is the engine coolant low indicator. I breathed a big sign of relief. Any time you see a engine oil warning it bounds not good. The best you can hope for is a faulty sensor. With a failed oil pump you engine would be damaged in a matter of minutes.

I popped the engine hatch cover and inspected the expansion tank coolant level and sure enough it below the "Min" mark. The filler tank is also below the minimum mark. I thought to myself it must be the plastic expansion tank that finally failed. This is a know issue with Vanagons. Sooner or later the factory part fails. I could not be sure except it was just my hunch. I also thought may be my coolant level is just low. I topped off the tanks with VW coolant that I have once I got home. I could not find any obvious leak without removing the expansion tank to inspect more closely.

A few days later I went grocery shopping in nearby store in a cool morning. When I return home I could see the puddle of coolant on the ground. This was a definite sign something is askew with the expansion tank. I waited for the engine to cool down and tried to locate a leak on the tank. All I find is the bottom of the plastic tank is wet, but cannot see the origin of the coolant. I didn't want to remove the tank for the fear of introducing air into the engine coolant system, as it is a lot of work to evacuate it. I decided to wait until a replacement tank arrives before finding and confirming the leak.

the factory expansion tank is I suspected it has failed

a puddle of coolant

I have read on forum that a lot of people reported problem with aftermarket plastic replacement tanks. The common problem is the screw thread of the plastic cap strips because the dimensions are poorly controlled. There are many recommendation and testimonials for the $249 aluminum tank.

the $249 aluminum expansion tank

I almost convinced myself to get the tried and true aluminum tank, but my better senses got ahold of my impulse. I did some research and found a few places that sell the aftermarket plastic replacement tank. I want to reuse my existing plastic cap as there is likely nothing wrong with it.

Of all the places the one by MTC on Amazon is the only one with free shipping (for order total of over $49), but does not include the plastic cap. I am fine with that as I want to reuse my factory cap anyway. It arrived the following day via priority 1 from Kentucky, and I was shocked as I don't have Prime.

i was so impressed with this shipping - arrive the following day; for just $27 shipped

I used a turkey baster to capture as much coolant as possible before removing the old tank

this is the plug for the expansion coolant level sensor

sure enough there is a hairline crack of about 3 inches long just below the welded seam on the bottom half of the tank

in every respect the aftermarket tank is nearly identical to the factory tank




 the level sensor is in remarkable condition - no sign of electrolysis

even the nipple of the plastic cap points at the same direction - this is important; the factory cap mate nicely with the new tank

I make sure the spring clamps for the hoses by aligning them to the old compressed imprints on the hoses; this ensure the hoses ends are well sealed without leak

I "topped up" the coolant reservoir

I tested the new tank by letting the engine fully warm up


No comments:

Post a Comment