Thursday, May 19, 2016

in good shape - brunnhilde part 22

I have been taking a lot of time pondering the best way to carry the Honda generator in Brunnhilde. There are only two viable options. Carry it inside or outside in the steel enclosure that I recently purchased. This is the follow-on post to the previous one in this series.

I decided to proceed to work of test mounting the steel enclosure onto the now defunct tire carrier. While one can plan and design on paper, the only way to get a good sense of the end result is to just do it. I figure if I do not like the result I can just not use it. My biggest reservation of carrying the generator outside is the addition to the effective length of the vehicle bout almost 1.5 feet.

Brunnhilde without the spare tire carrier on the rear door

this carrier is built like a Panzer and I gave a lot of thought to how to cut off the weld beads to remove the wheel mount

it took me close to an hour surgically cut out the weld beads with a cutoff wheel with a 4" hand grinder; the welding job is surperb

it is constructed with 10 gauge u-channels


my cardboard template to locate and level the steel box onto the steel frame

i tack-welded the bolts from the back side

it is too easy to underestimate the torque on the tire carrier

I haven't make the cutouts for the exhaust and the port for power cord

 

No comments:

Post a Comment