Saturday, July 29, 2017

mini love - part 19


Mini going into wolves' lair - Porsche dealership.




in case you wonder what is the R8 doing in the Porsche dealership; they are one same ownership and this R8 must belong to someone high up - it has a manual gearbox which is very uncommon for R8


Shopping for DOT4 brake fluid by the gallon; I have been reading between the lines of the hypes versus the industry specs and I incline not to fall for the expensive racing fluid at $20 a liter. I am a born skeptic of outrageous claims and fear mongering - fiery crash and burn if you don't open your wallet for ultra-hi-temp fluid.

this Pentosin is $41.65/gallon is about the highest price I am willing to pay

the generic Napa brand DOT 4 is $20/gallon (the DOT 3 product on the shelf is misplaced)

I have done some exploratory check of the possible mounting location for a oil catch can. I use a jug of hand cream to approximate the size of the oil catch can.

this location requires very long hoses

this location may work but need to comprehend the engine movement



this location requires drilling 2 holes for the hoses


this eBay OCC can be has for under $30

I am apprehensive with the tiny ID of one port

it lack a fixed mounting bracket but gives flexibility on the port orientation

the skewed o-ring is a bit concerning (suggests halfbaked design) - I look for clues like this before making a purchase; can't do this on my handy and that is why I never make purchase with my handy

this other eBay OCC can be had for $50


I like the design of this one better. Additionally it comes with 2 sets of fittings of different diameters. My concern with it is the side facing ports and their relationship to the cast-in mounting bracket which limit the installation locations in very confined engine bay of the Mini



this one appears to have proper baffles to encourage vapor condensation; I also like the dip stick over sighting window
actually there is one more mounting location but will require buying this GTT OCC from UK with precious Stirling

Update: I went ahead and order this one directly from China for a good saving over eBay



In my recent track day I worn the Simpson driving shoes that I bought in 2005. I worn it once until now. To my amazement the shit material of the soles disintegrated and turned into dust-like particles.


fortunately for me being a very frugal and cautious person I worn a pair of cheap Costco no name sneakers that day and planned to put on the fancy Simpson driving shoes when I get there; the Costco no name sneaker saved my hide that day

So after the event I save the crap Simpson driving shoes and have been thinking if I should even bother to see if they can be re-soled by a shoe repair. I looked a bit closer to the disintegrated soles and the construction of the shoes, my thought is it will be throwing good money after bad.

While the cheap Costco sneakers make pretty good driving shoes, the single area that makes it not so is the thick and angular heel, as with most causal or sports shoes. I have always thought that rock climbing shoes should every attribute of a well designed driving shoes - short of full-on autoracing shoes. More over they are likely to withstand wear and tear much better.

Today I browse REI for a pair of affordable rock climbing shoes. This La Sportiva TarantuLace rock climbing shoe is the most affordable at $80. I see no reason I should not consider it over the overpriced driving shoes.







I like the pull straps - which I think all outdoors sport shoes should have



No comments:

Post a Comment