Saturday, October 28, 2017

home made char siu 叉燒



I made another batch of home made char siu 叉燒. It is so easy and takes very little time to prepare. Char siu means roast on a spit. I refrain to call it Chinese barbecue to conjure the images of the disgusting red sugar glazed meat commonly found in the west to appease the sweet tooth.



here are the (three on the foreground) condiments that I used in addition to a bit of salt; the bottle in the middle has been in the fridge for 18 years! this is one prime example how important is soy bean in Asian cuisines

like a lot of grandma's I never cook with recipe - all instinct and experience, and by taste and improvisation

I used my finger to smash the while soy beans into a paste. They were from the middle bottle that is 18 years past the "shelf life".

I sliced the pork butt into strips to facilitate the marinate to work into the meat; I left it in the fridge for about 2 days (1 day minimum)

Then I smoked in a propane smoker for about 2 hours at medium-low heat.


I used no food colouring; the redness is from the smoking process and the natural colour of the fermented red bean curd


I don't eat that much but I like to use them as cooking ingredient; almost like tasso

 I put them in vacuum bags and store in the freezer

Here are some meals that I use them as topping or ingredient.






No comments:

Post a Comment