Sunday, December 30, 2018

a few casual meals - part 1



These are just some photos of casual dishes I made recently.

I found a source of oyster bar grade smallish oysters without the inflated price; there is very little one need to do to enjoy these except acquire the skill to shuck them without stabbing yourself with an oyster knife

USA Gulf shrimps with Asian mustard green

more clay pot rice with ever changing toppings

I bought a 5-lb bag of Pacific mussels from Costco and steamed a big bowl; I used the remaining 4 lbs to make a big batch of seafood congee

finding drinkable Chinese tea is very difficult here in Portland; it is pay your money and take your chances; these oolong is good

these bulk leaves in tin container taste nearly the same

this is just a snack that I made with the leftover broth from the Sichuan water poached beef 四川麻辣水煮牛肉; the rectangular pieces are ultra-dense tofu; the green topping is chopped cilantro

I bought a couple of fermented soy cooking condiments; the broad bean paste to the left is one of the few that are the foundations for Sichuan cuisine

maltose is my childhood favorite candy for its milder sweetness not to mention these were all I could afford; maltose has 30% to 60% the sweetness of sugar

a very simple baby bokchoy dish stir fried with fish sauce

slices of canned abalone for a bowl of all seafood congee

I used 4 lbs of live Pacific mussels to make this big pot of congee; there is also sea scallops and topped with a few slices of abalone



still more clay pot rice

what's new is couple slices of Chinese cured pork belly



No comments:

Post a Comment