Thursday, February 21, 2019

chiuchow pickled oysters 潮州醃蠔


I watched every episodes of this Netflix documentary about cuisines in Chaoshan 潮汕 and really enjoyed learning dishes that I didn't know. One that piqued my interest is the pickled oysters 潮州醃蠔. As it is a food and culture documentary there is no recipe nor the ingredients are listed, except the few that were mentioned. As soon as I watch this may be 2 minutes segment on this dish I had a very good idea how to make it even though I have never tasted it. I can taste it in my imagination. It is analogous to ceviche in which raw seafoods are cured in vinegar or citric juice, except high salinity condiments are used.


I bought some chili peppers, garlics, and cilantro intending to experiment with this Chiuchow pickled oysters 潮州醃蠔. I wanted first to make a small batch as an experiment.

Ingredient of this Chiuchow pickled oysters 潮州醃蠔:
  • chopped garlic
  • cilantro
  • Serrano chili peppers
  • mini red sweet peppers
  • fish sauce
  • soy sauce
  • small oysters
  • white granule sugar
Note that no vinegar is used for this dish.

the red peppers are sweet while the green Serrano are hot

a lot of chopped cilantro

just mix gently and let it sit for 1 1/2 hours - duration depends on the size of oysters

According to the video the brining takes about two hours. I monitored it and by 1 1/2 hours I decided that it is enough time as the contents sunk quite a bit into the brine. I made a meal out of it together with some leftover three cup chicken.


you definitely want to eat this with a bowl of piping hot rice - the saltiness and hot chili make the rice taste sweet

To me this is delicious. However if you have never tasted briny ethnic food and prefer hot dogs and hamburger I do not recommend you dive head first into this dish. If you like raw oysters a pretty good chance you will warm up to this.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks. I watch that show last night and fell in love with their cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you nailed it. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few drops of quality Shaoxing wine or Chinese liqueur in it would elevate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I don't really like fish sauce... do you think I could omit or substitute something else? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your recipe, I'd try to cook it too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I’ve tried and it was very delicious

    ReplyDelete