Saturday, February 23, 2019

test, test, this is a test


I have been on the lookout for alternative oil for cooking. As I learnt more about cooking I begun to realize the importance of matching the oil to the cooking method. More important is the realization of the overhyped health benefit of common vegetable oils that is mass produced. Some oil like olive oil is not suitable for frying as it has very low smoking point.


There have been a lot of attack on coconut oil by the mainstream media and health authorities. Yet they tout the benefits of oil like Canola and soy bean oil! I have grown more and more suspicious.

I bought this jar of cold pressed coconut oil from Costco to try. It is from Philippines.




Without planning I was undecided as to how to cook these few pieces of mahi mahi.  I didn't feel like cooking so I plotted my simple way out. Just pan fry them. I used a bit of fish sauce as seasoning and lightly dust the fish with plain flour and black pepper. I use the coconut oil instead of Canola oil this time around.

I was amazed to the different in the result. Instead of the oil smoking and turn into a vanish the coconut oil fried the fish beautifully. I have never been able to achieve result like this before. It is no surprise other cultures use clarified butter, or animal fat like lard for high temperature frying. Instead of a fouled burnt vegetable vanish smell the fish is succulent and has a hint of coconut. There is no need to add butter. Furthermore, the oil hardly diminished because very little is lost to vapourization.

this is just frozen mahi mahi


Oh, I can make really good scallion pancake well now with the lest amount of time. It is a revelation that a little flour and one piece of scallion can be turned into such delight.

one of the few secret is frying the scallion, flour, salt, and five spices with a bit of olive oil










you can see the paper thin layers

it is not oily at all

here is another quick meal with mahi mahi fried in coconut axle grease

the most striking thing with frying with coconut oil is very little oil is lost to vaporization; you are left with most of the oil that you started with and have plenty to spoon over the fish to serve

The baby bok choy was stir fried with the brine left over from the Chiuchow pickled oysters 潮州醃蠔.

No comments:

Post a Comment