Sunday, June 30, 2019

brake parts for brunnhilde - part 1




One of the reasons that I write this post is I need to have photo hosting to be able to make a post on the Sprinter forum concerning the procurement of brake parts for Brunnhilde. This is also why this post is a running one as I gather more images.

I ran into some obstacles while trying to determine which are the right pad wear sensors. From the appearance of the right front pads I infer the right ones are those that slip into the slot of the brake pad backing plate, so this is what I have so far in the shopping cart. The total includes a trailer hitch connector that is $30.


I didn't want to order the wrong parts so I waited to find time performing a visual inspection of the front brakes. I was expecting the pads and rotors to be half worn given the mileage.

I only want to look at the right front brake as it should tell me the other three should be that different. If I have more time I might also inspect the left front. Today I found time to carry out the inspection.

I jack up this corner at the lower control arm; there is a jack stand by the transmission cross beam just in case; I also wan't going to stick my head into the wheel well

all lug bolts remove and the steel wheel is stuck to the wheel hub

I grab a piece of 2x4 and ply between the pavement and the tire contact patch to break it loose; easy as pie; the wheel and tire weight a ton

the rotor outer edge is a bit rusty but the faces are not much worn

interesting that the sway bar drop link has a bend; I checked the other side and it is all good


the inside face of the rotor looks good

this must be the wheel speed sensor; I measured the diameter of the rotor and confirm it is about 285mm.

the inner pad friction material has a lot of meat left

the outer pad friction material also has a lot of meat left

so I have a Bosch 4 piston caliper

this rust around the hub is what cause the wheel to stick to it so I brushed off the rust and spayed with WD40

just a quick sanity check and the rotor has close to 7/8" (0.875") thickness as there is not much of a ridge on the outer edge

checking this normal and minimum thickness confirm the rotor is hardly worn

I used this cold chisel to machine the rust like a lath




these tires is so durable as they are commercial; some point in time I should swap the front wheels with the rear to even out the wear; I hate doing it as Brunnhilde is so heavy


What is most disappointing of this exercise is I spent quite a bit of time researching and determining the pads and rotors to order, but it turns out the front brakes has a lot of life left. I estimate they are not even 1/4 used.


No comments:

Post a Comment