Monday, April 12, 2021

happiness is another small engine - part 3


I wrote this post a year ago but left in as draft. I decided to go ahead and publish it now.

I just add another small engine to my collection. This one is an essential equipment for the ranch. Happiness comes from the time and misery I save from using a lesser piece of equipment.

Knowing nothing about mowers for handling a few acres I dived in head first to perform research. After a few hours I decided the Ariens Ikon XD line is the one to buy. Next is to decide on the size of the deck. After watching a few Youtube videos, I narrowed down to either 42" or 52". The tradeoff is able to get into tight places with the smaller deck, or covering 10 more inches of track on each pass with the larger deck. assessing the spacing of plants and obstacles of the property I decided 52". While the manufacturer offers the choice of Kawasaki or Kohler engines it is easy decision. Kawasaki is the only engine I want. I never like the Kohler Group.

By the time I decided to get this zero turn mower, we were in the end of a warm spell and all the good zero turn mowers have been snapped up. On top of it is the Coronavirus pandemic tidal wave that just hit United States.

the battery was dead when it arrived and it would not start; I put a charger on it

it came with the hour meter reading 73.1 which obviously was caused by some idiot leaving the ignition switch at the run position that caused the battery to be totally discharged


there was also no fuel in the tank

all charged up and it starts with the first turn of the key


I planned ahead to rig up this improvised ramp for the utility trailer; these are the 2x10 planks that I happen to find at the yard I saved for uses like this

I made these two pieces of cleats so the improvised ramp will stay put onto the tailgate of the trailer

I also estimated that the 5x8' trailer bed would just able to accommodate this mower - with the discharge chute cover removed


the 52" zero turn mower just fit with only a few inches of clearance onto the utility trailer

the deck of the trailer is quite rotted but it made it safely to the ranch; in case you wonder about the excessive length of the cleats, I planned to buy two piece of 2x12 planks originally but didn't as I found the scape pieces of 2x10" planks

I put in 5.4 hours for the first time use and covered about 4 acres including densely planted trees area









this is an amazing property in which there is even a small garage for the few pieces of essential equipment; I would soon fill this garage with maintenance equipment


No comments:

Post a Comment