Thursday, January 26, 2023

hydronic heat for the barn - part 8

I have been too cautious in not willing to start some part of work worrying about the copper plumbing being done first. There is next to no risk by now as the remaining part entails relatively easy work. I decided to move forward in installing the combustion air intake and exhaust, as well as the condensate drain line.

to make the PVC piping tidy and professional I started from the inside to locate the two 2" holes that needs to be bored from the outside in through the metal siding

the temporary partial dry fit of the elbows allowed me to mark the horizontal pipe locations on the vapor barrier; I then used a very long drill bit to make a pilot hole from inside out


having a sharp 2" hole saw makes life easier

once I have the pilot holes I then used the hole saw to drill through the metal siding


one hole landed on the fold rib of the siding but thankfully the hole saw is really sharp so it didn't try to walk

I then enlarged the holes through the insulation to let the pipes in

dry fit the pipes again to make sure they are cut to right lengths

I only glued the exhaust pipes together so the condensate will not leak through the joints; it is also a safety issue with exhaust gas; I left the intake friction fitted for the fear I would have a struggle to fit the glued assembly into the boiler rubber sleeve



as the rodent screens they supplied are for 3" pipe I fabricate my own

I only have material to make one so it is fitted to the exhaust as that is horizontal

nice and plumb

I caulked around the pipe to seal them as well as secure them in place

next I bore a hole for the gravity drain condensate; I do worry about the water can freeze in extreme cold climate so I keep the exposed hose very short

the condensate drain hose will be trimmed short later after its been caulked and secured with a clamp


until I make the screen for the intake I fitted a temporary down pipe to protect it from bird or bat getting in

the air outlet pipe is tilled up slightly for condensate to drain back down




No comments:

Post a Comment