Sunday, September 30, 2012

pan seared scallops

Today I planned my trip in the morning. I went to UPS store to ship some used part removed from Tatyana which I was able to sell online. I also went to Costco to return a Samsung security DVR which I was not satisfied. Instead of taking the Mini I took Tatyana so when I return home, the engine oil would be hot to ease the engine oil change. A well-laid plan to start the
day.

I arrived to Costco when it just open. I can do the shopping quickly and avoid the late saturday morning traffic returning home too.

A surprise fine at Costco are these Italian crystal wine glasses - 8 for $24 works out to be only $3 dollars each. I have been wanting some crystal wine glasses a long time but had been unwilling to pay $10 or more each.
italian crystal wine glass


At $3 each it is a bargain. I have been buying utility wine glasses from Ikea for $1.99 each. The problem with cheap utility wine glasses is they always has a bead around the rim because of the mass product method that uses flame to smooth the rim. This bead create a crevasse which accumulates deposit and soon there is a rose' color rim that is difficult to get rid of.
crystal (left); ikea glass (right)
8 in a package for $24
Knowing I would never find crystal wine glasses at this price again I snapped up 2 cases. At this price I would use them in Tatyana on trips and not feel too bad breaking a couple.

It has been a long time since I last bought the big scallops. It must been 2 years ago when they were $10.99 a pound. Now they are $12.99 a pound thanks mostly to the higher fuel cost. I ponder for a moment and decided on splurging on one pound of these big scallops.

Tonight I made a simple dinner of pan seared scallops. When cooking fresh scallops I like to keep it as simple. I just sear them in a pan with a little bit of butter. Once they are just cooked but not over cooked I plate them and season with salt and fresh ground pepper and sprinkle some chopped chive from the garden. I deglaze the pan to recover the umami-packed juice onto the plate.
just pan sear them with a little butter

i eat it with a couple slides of toasted italian bread; i ate 9 scallops in one setting
It is so simple to make and is so delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment