Sunday, January 13, 2013

thailand open markets

I never miss a chance to see fresh produce market when I travel. It is so much joy to see all the unfamiliar ingredients as well as the familiar ones.
 Here is a collection of photos I took in markets in Thailand.


this is a fresh produce market in Chiang Mai
 I would love to have access to such bountiful collection of fresh vegetables





grilled salt crust tilapia


 this is the biggest coconut I've ever bought - 30 baht







This is most unusual. I have seen this same vegetable cart vendor on Khaosan Road 2 years ago. Here he is again 2 years later
These are the photos from a fresh produce market in Bangkok near the Chinatown. It was quite small the the selections are out of this world.

this market consists of stalls lining this side street West of the Chinatown proper

tilapias cleaned and ready to cook - Thai like to deep fry them; less than $1 USD each




fresh pepper corns

kaffir limes and lesser gingers



I would do anything to get my hands on some of the fresh pepper corns (top left corner)
 salted whole crabs in the center




kaffir limes and 'normal' limes


I was surprised to see salmon here

 deep-fried cat fish pieces with fresh pepper corns


fresh curries
 more cooked food




fish paste - the brown color one seems to have curry - like spices including chili peppers
 lotus seed pods






preserved bamboo shoots these are a tofu-like things made of high gluten flour - it is used for cooking


I miss the fresh straw mushrooms that are this big




 grill banana
most Thais like to gamble
 food grade plastic bags
the plastic bags are used to hold food of all sorts as those in this photo; they never leak even with piping hot soup
I believe this is a sweet pastry with crushed peanuts inside - it is a Chinese pastry
porridge with fish paste - it is quite similar to the Cantonese versions


No comments:

Post a Comment